Fish for 10g heavily planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pearl danios are the standard for most chain petstores so that is indeed the type of danio I intend for a few weeks of cycling. Glofish are a type of danio as well that are commonly sold except in California so I assume one could use those as well

Pearl Danios are not the same fish as Celestial Pearl Danios. CPDs are expensive little fish that are quite shy and shouldn't be risked as a "fish in cycle" fish. Most Danios are actually a little too rambunctious for a 10g to be honest. Id suggest fish less cycle to be honest.

Pearl Danios are not the same fish as Celestial Pearl Danios. CPDs are expensive little fish that are quite shy and shouldn't be risked as a "fish in cycle" fish. Most Danios are actually a little too rambunctious for a 10g to be honest. Id suggest fish less cycle to be honest.

+1 on the fishless. You can crank the ammonia to 4 ppm or more and allow nitrites/nitrates to fluctuate and not have to do any WCs to keep te fish alive. If you have established media then it will cycle much faster.

That's exactly what I just said. I'm talking about using pearl danios because celestials are more of a higher level care fish than a beginner fish.

If it's a heavily planted tank, why are folks upset about adding fish? Heavily planted should get the OP a silent cycle.

I did understand the title of the thread correctly, didn't I, OP? You have already planted the tank?

If it's a heavily planted tank, why are folks upset about adding fish? Heavily planted should get the OP a silent cycle.

I did understand the title of the thread correctly, didn't I, OP? You have already planted the tank?

Check the second post on the thread.

No, not yet. The tank has been running for a week.

Then get lots of plants in ASAP, particularly fast growing stem plants. I've always found it easier to plant a tank, then add fish, instead of the other way around anyway.

I'm going to the lfs on Thursday, can I get plants and fish then, and put in plants while acclimating fish? These are the fish I am going with:
1st, I will cycle with 3 zebra danios 2nd, I will get 1 sparkling gourami, 3rd, I will add to the school of zebras, and possibly get a snail OR some Cory's.

I'm going to the lfs on Thursday, can I get plants and fish then, and put in plants while acclimating fish? These are the fish I am going with:
1st, I will cycle with 3 zebra danios 2nd, I will get 1 sparkling gourami, 3rd, I will add to the school of zebras, and possibly get a snail OR some Cory's.

image-966416385.jpg

image-2917048721.jpg

These are my ideas. Please criticize and add to list. Thx

If you're asking me, the answer is "nope."

Plants first. Plants planted in the tank for at least a week to settle in. You don't know if the lfs has stem plants or what they are if it does.

Where's the fire? Why the rush to get fish in the tank? And why are you trying to stuff a 10 gallon tank impossibly full of fish?

I do not get your logic at all.

If you're asking me, the answer is "nope."

Plants first. Plants planted in the tank for at least a week to settle in. You don't know if the lfs has stem plants or what they are if it does.

Where's the fire? Why the rush to get fish in the tank? And why are you trying to stuff a 10 gallon tank impossibly full of fish?

I do not get your logic at all.

I'm not going to get all those fish. The tank has been running for a week and half and I am losing interest, which is when I don't do water changes. Can't plants adjust while fish are there?

I'm not going to get all those fish. The tank has been running for a week and half and I am losing interest, which is when I don't do water changes. Can't plants adjust while fish are there?

Okay, I'm going to try to be politic as I respond to you.

The plants settle in and the tank adjusts. You should be checking your water chemistry and feeding your plants - yes, they have to be fed - during that time. So no, doing both at once isn't the optimal way to set the thing up.

Surely from your other threads talking about cloudy water and fish deaths you must have learned something. I'm having a hard time understanding why you would want to risk killing some more fish at this point. This is the same 10 gallon tank from your other threads, isn't it?

Having an aquarium - planted or not - is not like making a cup of instant coffee or soup. If you lose interest that fast in a fish tank, then please find another hobby that doesn't involve living things - plants or animals.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm going to try to be politic as I respond to you.

The plants settle in and the tank adjusts. You should be checking your water chemistry and feeding your plants - yes, they have to be fed - during that time. So no, doing both at once isn't the optimal way to set the thing up.

Surely from your other threads talking about cloudy water and fish deaths you must have learned something. I'm having a hard time understanding why you would want to risk killing some more fish at this point. This is the same 10 gallon tank from your other threads, isn't it?

Having an aquarium - planted or not - is not like making a cup of instant coffee or soup. If you lose interest that fast in a fish tank, then please find another hobby that doesn't involve living things - plants or animals.

Ok thanks. I will do plants, then fish. That is the same 10 gallon.

I want this thread to be about fish and plant suggestions for my 10 gallon, not on the super specifics of this.

Back
Top Bottom