Fish for 10g heavily planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most tetra neon tetras etc. dwarf gourami I don't know about the plants sorry. ): swordtails

Most swordtails that I know of grow to 4" & minimum tank requirement is 20-30 gallon. I would avoid the in this tank I think.

I have a 15 gallon column heavily planted tank & I have 2 Dario Dario (awesome little fish & very colorful but can be shy). 4 ember tetra, 7 mosquito rasboras, 4 Nannostomus marginatus (dwarf pencil fish), assorted shrimp (red fire, yellow fire, Rili, red & black crystal).

I tend to hover around the over stock line, possibly stand right on it. I do not suggest heavily stocking tanks unless you are willing to do ALL the extra work involved. I run a much higher grade filter, do extra water changes, & water test more often. I also have a 55 gallon community tank that I can transfer any extra fish/shrimp that I end up with.

Plants..... Well I think I have 12 or 13 different kinds in the 15g with Fluval shrimp substrate & I believe I have 22 different kinds in my 55g with standard gravel. But I don't have any experience with sand. I'm just not sure there.

Thanks, tetras sound good, maybe some guppies to. I hear that anything in gravel can work in sand. I was thinking a amazon sword and some glosso. Maybe some rainbow fish too.

Swords, except for the smaller chain swords grow too large for a 10g. A crypt Wendtii will have the same basic shape and will grow to a nice size and will work in a 10g. They also are low light tolerant so a good choice. They will need root tabs as they are heavy feeders and sand is inert.

The only cories suitable for a 10g are the dwarf or pygmy cories which you could do up to 5. The rainbowfish you suggested both need larger tanks as they are very active fish. I keep Threadfin rainbows in my 220g. The Spotted Blue-eyes are much better for a 10g. Also instead of guppies I would suggest Endlers. I would also get all males so you don't have a fry issue in such a small tank. Any of the nano fish Try-na suggested are good choices.

I think I will eventually get 1 Bolivian ram, and 5 flame tetras. What fish should I start the cycle with?

I am beginning to sound like a broken record because I have a crush on Celestial Pearl Danios. But for a heavily planted 10G, about 8 Celestial Pearl Danios would look awesome! Along with 3 Pygmy Cories for prunning the leaves of your plants.

Why no for a Bolivian ram? If not that, what about some other dwarf cichlids, like apistos?

The key I usually refer to is if the fish has any ties to a cichlid, the rule of thumb is at least a 20+ gallon tank. And even then, you'd only be able to keep 2-3... If you like that cichlid look, then look for a dario dario. They look kinda like cichlids.

Any ideas for a heavily planted 10g tank with a sand substrate?

You can get 3-4 albino Cory catfish they are awesome bottom feeder fish to watch that will get your tank clean and only get 3 inches :) you could also get some shrimp that you like

Here are some possibilities for fish:

Blue eye rainbows
CPDs
Pygmy Cory's
Flame tetras
Cardinal tetras

For plants:

Star grass
Java fern
Banana lily/plant
Chain swords
B

You can get 1 or 2 dwarf puffer fish they are the only fresh water puffer , if you get 2 ten gallons is perfect because they need 5 gallons each , but they can be territorial so your tank should be fine because it will be a heavily planted tank , but don't put any other types of fish with them they will ripe them to shreads , do a lot of reasesrch if your thinking of getting a dwarf puffer though , check your LFS ( local fish store ) or order them online the prices for them are around $2.00-$5.00

image-3669430946.jpg

This is what they look like , I think this one is a

This is a good website about them

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...krKbY47pBTFJytOgQ&sig2=VdllqP34UXQnOH0qN1xnQA

You can get 1 or 2 dwarf puffer fish they are the only fresh water puffer , if you get 2 ten gallons is perfect because they need 5 gallons each , but they can be territorial so your tank should be fine because it will be a heavily planted tank , but don't put any other types of fish with them they will ripe them to shreads , do a lot of reasesrch if your thinking of getting a dwarf puffer though , check your LFS ( local fish store ) or order them online the prices for them are around $2.00-$5.00

This is what they look like , I think this one is a

This is a good website about them

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=10&ved=0CGcQFjAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dwarfpuffers.com%2F&ei=cpavUd7AN8LbrAHuq4DoBg&usg=AFQjCNG9PzxZNThIvkrKbY47pBTFJytOgQ&sig2=VdllqP34UXQnOH0qN1xnQA

Good idea, thx. But are they brackish? I don't really want aggressive, but maybe I'll get those,

Back
Top Bottom