fish for well planted 5.5 gallon red cherry shrimp tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liberator123

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have around 20 rcs in my 5.5g nicely planted tank. plenty of java moss, driftwood, rocks, riccia, marsilea, etc...

im interested in adding a small fish (maybe 2-6?). however, i can't decide which fish would work well with rcs in a tank of this size. my betta didnt work out cuz he started attacking them any chance he gets.
- the fish has to be small, like 1 inch small.
- preferred top to mid feeders as the shrimps will be bottom feeding. the kind that will practically ignore food on the floor. also, the bottom may be heavily planted, but the top of the tank has much space for free swimming. ill post a picture when i get the chance.
- fish that won't actively hunt the shrimps/shrimplets. its ok if they happen to eat the shrimplet if the shrimplets swim in front of them while lights are out, but they cant be "hunting" for them. this way the shrimp population is controlled. i know there isnt a fish that will not eat shrimplets except for ottos, but ottos behavior and where they swim/hangout is not what im looking for. need a fish to fill the top part of the tank and to contrast my rcs.

the fish ive considered are:
celestial pearl danio/galaxy rasbora
chili rasbora
dwarf rasbora
pheonix rasbora
ember tetra
green neon tetra
threadfin rainbowfish
furcatas rainbowfish (these are available in lfs, the others online only)

can anyone recommend a fish? and how many? thanks!

I had 2 celestial pearl with my RCS. They did well together just added moss so the shrimp could hide. Oh and they were housed in a 5.5 gal tank

Back
Top Bottom