Fish only to planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SwimsWithFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all!!! I've seen many photos of planted tanks and I think there downright amazing. But I have no knowledge what so ever about planted tanks. If anyone has any links or tips to help me convert my ten gallon tropical into a planted beauty it would be much appreciated.

There's really no major secret to keeping live plants .... see the link below to get you started. You have to start with the light, your 10gal probably came with a stock hood so with that current lighting, your looking at low light plants to start with. Generally you want bulbs that have a color temperature around 6500K and a WPG around 1-2.

Some good choices are Java Fern, Anubias and Crypt Wendtii. All three can grow in very low light requiring very little maintenance. If you upgrade to brighter / higher output bulbs, you could go with higher light plants, but your also looking more maintenance like dosing CO2 as well as liquid nutrients.

The links below can get you started and I'm sure others will join with more tips.

PlantGeek.net - Plant Guide.

PAR vs Distance, T5, T12, PC - Updated Again Charts

Good Luck!

I am no expert by any means, but I was like you and very shy to start with live plants. Good plants to start out with even with normal aquarium lights are java fern and anubias.. I haven't seen much growth from the anubias, but the java fern has definitely taken off.
Check out the links above and do your research.. It's not nearly as scary as it might seem, but I have a lot of learning to do as well... Good luck to you! And keep us posted!

Here what you need to do, before adding plants. You need Co2, fertilizer balance, and lights . Make sure you have this before you start anything.

They equipment will vary depending on you plants needs.

Using dry fertilizer will help make sure you don't have algae and have healthy plants.

Patrice said:
Here what you need to do, before adding plants. You need Co2, fertilizer balance, and lights . Make sure you have this before you start anything.

Using dry fertilizer will help make sure you don't have algae and have healthy plants.

You need neither co2 nor fertilizers for a low tech tank with decent stocking and plant choices.

Thanks everyone! Quick question... Can I put the plants in regular aquarium gravel? Because that's what I have in my tank.

I disagree with this. Lots of plants require none of this, or will do ok without it.

Gravel will work, but you'll want to look into sand or a plant substrate like flourite, floromax, eco-complete, or the ADA version of these(slightly higher cost, very high reviews). There's some alternatives, but one of those is best for starting out.

roundar said:
I disagree with this. Lots of plants require none of this, or will do ok without it.

Gravel will work, but you'll want to look into sand or a plant substrate like flourite, floromax, eco-complete, or the ADA version of these(slightly higher cost, very high reviews). There's some alternatives, but one of those is best for starting out.

So I just add the sand to my current gravel?

aqua_chem said:
You need neither co2 nor fertilizers for a low tech tank with decent stocking and plant choices.

Your are right for a low teck tank you probably only need a rich substrate. That's by replacing what you have by it. I recommend a substrate that have all nutrient you need. Usaly this type of substrate will last for 1 year whit out adding fertilizer.

Patrice said:
Your are right for a low teck tank you probably only need a rich substrate. That's by replacing what you have by it. I recommend a substrate that have all nutrient you need. Usaly this type of substrate will last for 1 year whit out adding fertilizer.

Not all plants are root feeders. I've seen planted tanks in gravel too. My first planted tank had crypts and wisteria flourishing in clown puke blue gravel. Some root tabs might be needed for heavy root feeders every few months.

So either sand or gravel is doable for less ambitious plants.

So I just add the sand to my current gravel?

I'd do one or the other. I'd prefer one of the other's I listed, but if you choose sand keep in mind that you should rinse the sand first. There are several threads already dedicated to how to do that.

I agree with aqua_chem's post as well.

Back
Top Bottom