Fish species for planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pcollins0901

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, I recently setup my first planted tank thanks to a few members of this forum it's been a great success so far.

My setup:
55 gallon
Finnex 24/7 light
Planted with anabius, java fern, java moss, and moneywort. Also have a few misc. Plant species in there.
DIY co2 system (citric acid/baking soda)

I recently had some.fish given to me bc a cousins tank started leaking. A few full grown angle fish, which I love but one is a large gourami. He is awesome but im concerned about him destroying my planted tank.

Anyone have gourami in their planted tank? What's your experiences been like?

Gourami's are going to eat your plants. I've seen some people say get fast growing plants to keep up with them. Dwarf Gourami's do a lot better in planted tanks from my experience.

I'm not sure on the species. It was given to me. It's been in there 2 days now and he hasn't caused any issues. Seems very lazy and gets along well with all the other fish. He is 6 years old. The previous owner never had a planted tank but he says he is very chill. Just hangs out and comes to surface for air regularly. I'm going to give him a chance. It's a beautiful fish.

Monitor your plants and whether you see bite marks. They won't dig them up wreck them but they've been known to eat plants. Just from what my family members have said.

Basically, from the info I have read about online the java fern and java moss is safe. Other than that the moneywort is all I have to worry about. I will monitor it and keep y'all updated. Be a interesting little test anyways.

Yeah ferns will be fine. Hygrophilia I heard survive a gourami.

If he's only been in there for 2 days you haven't seen his real personality yet. Give him 2 weeks to warm up to his new tank and that's when you'll start seeing how he will be

IMG_1394.JPG

If anyone would like a rather large pleco let me know and we can arrange getting it to you. He is very healthy. Pic is for attention not the actual fish but identical. About 9inches

Back
Top Bottom