Fish that eat MTS snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkiggy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 40g VERY planted catfish tank. 5 Syno, Cory, Shrimp tank. Due to having a puffer in the past, who recently died, I now have snail problem. Snails are destructive..... I have had more puffers but they haven't lived long.....
Is there an actual fish, other than Clown loach, that will eat these snails?? Synos are peaceful but they WILL eat what they can catch. Gravel base Very peaceful tank

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Warning on the assassin snails: whike they can help eliminate your snail problem, they can also become a new snail problem themselves. I started with 2 in a 55g community tank about 9 months ago...while my mini ramshorn problem has been completely eliminated, I now have about 100+ assassin snails. My LFS keeps claiming they'll trade with me, they never seem actually able to. I've moved most of them to my spare 10g, but there's always more babies emerging.

I'm wishing I had tried the botia loaches instead. But if you would rather try assassins, stick with 1! They're one of a few species that actually need a male/female combo to lay eggs. ?

No local stores have Botia. Im not going to trade one problem for another. I have nerites as well and don't want them getting eaten. Yo yo - aren't they a little aggressive? I've heard they can be jerks. Kuli need sand...I gave gravel......
I think I'm going to try pea puffers again. I had mine for 6 yrs. I was super sad....;(
Kuli would be hard to catch to get rid of.....I just want snails gone......

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Here are some other options I've tried the salt dip and bleach dip the bleach dip works a lot better you just have to be careful. You would take every thing out of your tank then do the salt dip or bleach dip for your plants and gravel (Make sure you find the snails you want to keep). Then rinse the heck out of them. Once everything is done and doesn't smell like bleach you can put it back in. Your chemical levels in the tank might fluctuate a little because you cleaned off the gravel too but it shouldn't be too much if you leave the filter alone.
Here's a link on how to do it
http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatfishblog/2011/07/20/dipping-plants-to-eliminate-snails/

I hate chemicals. When I had a pest snail outbreak, I removed about 80 of my water and stored it and everything else I wanted to put back in the tank.

I removed all of the gravel and the last of the water and added salt. The snails will close up and some will survive. So then I dumped all of it into a metal pot and added boiling hot water. Let it sit for a few minutes and then drained it.

At this point I had also rinsed the tank and lightly scrubbed it and put the water and fish back in.

Layout the hot gravel on something where it can cool and remove the bodies while enjoying your favorite cocktail(s). Takes a while but totally works. I used large baking sheets in batches to put all of them out.

Do not let it sit, do this right after so dead bodies are not decaying in your gravel.

Chose one side of the tank to add the gravel back a bit at a time. After that side is done shift all your decor to that side and add the gravel to the other side.

If your fish sensitive you may want to leave them in an bucket with air until your done.

Last edited:
You could try yoyo loaches botia loaches or a few assassin snails.

I don't mean to hijack the thread but will yo-yo loaches eat very large golden mystery snails? I recently got a yoyo loach and had no idea that they were the snail eating loaches. So far my snail is making it but will he eventually get to him or if I keep him fat and happy with wafers and bloodworms, will he not touch my snail?

Back
Top Bottom