Fish to avoid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

furrymurray

Aquarium Advice Freak
My family and I are reshearching community fish for our 58g planted tank while it is cycling. We are looking at tetras, mollies, danios, guppies etc but I am having problems finding out if they will eat my plants or not. I dont mind nibbling but I dont want fish that will turn my tank into a salad bowl :). What fish should I avoid?

Silver dollars, rosy barbs, and tiger barbs will destroy plants. At least they do in my tank

Thanks for the info. My son likes dalmation mollies. But I read they are mainly herbivors and like algae waffers. Does anyone know if they also eat plants?

Humm sounds like some individual fish develope a taste for plants and some dont. Guess I might just have to try it and see. I just hate taking fish back to the lfs if it doesnt work out (its like sending them to prison for being hungry) :)

I would say stay away from barbs in general. I have black ruby barbs, gold barbs, and cherry barbs and they are all destroying my plants. I am also having trouble with my flag tail tetra eating them as well. I have two mollies that don't even look at them, so I guess it's just up to the individual molly as to whether they'll eat them or not.

Honestly even if they do a little munching on the plants, it really is very healthy for them. Just keep away from silver dollars and I'm sure you will be fine.

In the end most fish eat plants to one degree or another. And unless you wake up one day to an empty tank and a bunch of fat fish you should likely be fine.

Thanks everyone for your input. Guess it will take a little testing to see what works out

You can get glofish and if you like german blue ram or gold ram. Plus mollies and guppies are fine too.

Back
Top Bottom