Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Rescape/Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello! My knowledge in the planted tank category has grown a ton since I started this tank in March 2013, and if still like to learn even more. Alas, there is still much work to be done. I'm putting more substrate in my tank, so I've decided to do a rescape to make my tank look better. Here is all the information to possibly know about my tank:

Stock:

6 Threadfin Rainbowfish (I plan to get 12)
5 Cory Cats
2 Panda Garra
2 Assassin Snails
5 Bentos Tetras
1 Female Electric Blue Ram

Plants:

Java Fern
Anubias Batari var. nana
Amazon Swords
Cryptocoryne undulata 'red'
Cryptocoryne Wendtii 'red'
Cryptocoryne Wendtii 'bronze'
Java Moss
Green Melon Sword
Ludwigia repens
Rotata rotundifolia
Crinum calamistratum
Cyperus helferi
Red Root Floater
Alternanthera reineckii 'cardinalis' (soon to be planted)

Filter: Eheim Classic 2213 Model

Lighting: AquaticLife T5 HO Duel Lamp with 1 36" 39W 650nm Pink Roseate bulb and 1 36" 39W 6,000°K bulb (medium lighting for my tank)

Ferts: PPS-Pro

CO2 supplementation: At the moment, I only dose Flourish Excel. The plan is to switch to pressurized CO2 at the end of the year.

Tank Dimensions: 36" x 12" x 16"

With the rescape, the plans are unclear, so I'd love to hear some ideas. If you think my tank looks fine how it is, just tell me. I'll have to take the plants out anyway when I put in some more substrate, but I can put them in the same spots again. Here are some tank pictures:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406598576.446496.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406598616.788002.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406598640.500448.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Forgive me saying so but it looks super dark. Might want to net out the floating plants or something. I think once it grows out it will look good. You do have a lot of rosette plants though. Maybe try some staurogyne repens in the front?

Is that a 30b? I'm going to have to agree with the tank appearing dark? is it just the pics?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Forgive me saying so but it looks super dark. Might want to net out the floating plants or something. I think once it grows out it will look good. You do have a lot of rosette plants though. Maybe try some staurogyne repens in the front?

You are correct about it looking dark in the front. There are some floating plants piled up in that area, so I'll take them out. I would like to have some type of floating plant though. Maybe something that is smaller leafed. Azolla possibly? I do happen to have some Staurogyne repens already, but I only have a couple stems of it. I went to Petsmart a couple days ago and they didn't have any. I'll also be adding some Pygmy Chain Swords to one portion of the foreground, but I don't know which portion yet. I'll have to move that big lava rock (the one with the Java Fern) so it doesn't cast a shadow in the foreground area as well.

You are correct about it looking dark in the front. There are some floating plants piled up in that area, so I'll take them out. I would like to have some type of floating plant though. Maybe something that is smaller leafed. Azolla possibly? I do happen to have some Staurogyne repens already, but I only have a couple stems of it. I went to Petsmart a couple days ago and they didn't have any. I'll also be adding some Pygmy Chain Swords to one portion of the foreground, but I don't know which portion yet. I'll have to move that big lava rock (the one with the Java Fern) so it doesn't cast a shadow in the foreground area as well.

Yeah if you propagate the s repens and spread it across the tank it would look much better.

I was going to comment about the lava rock. Either move it back because that area is prime real estate for some low foreground plants or remove it. Where it is makes me wonder what's behind it. Perhaps more crypt wendtii red to the left (my left) of the existing bunch. Yes, and star repens near the front. Once established it can get quite thick. PM me if you cannot locate any and you are interested in some. I trimmed mine about a month ago and it yielded about 35-40 growing tips. Currently battling some GSA on the older star repens leaves but growth has taken off under some new lighting.
I keep getting drawn to the background. Though the colors are muted a bit, I feel takes the focus away from your plants, decor, and fish. Speaking of which, those threadfins are awesome. I recall seeing this tank on another thread and the threadfins stood out.

I was going to comment about the lava rock. Either move it back because that area is prime real estate for some low foreground plants or remove it. Where it is makes me wonder what's behind it. Perhaps more crypt wendtii red to the left (my left) of the existing bunch. Yes, and star repens near the front. Once established it can get quite thick. PM me if you cannot locate any and you are interested in some. I trimmed mine about a month ago and it yielded about 35-40 growing tips. Currently battling some GSA on the older star repens leaves but growth has taken off under some new lighting.
I keep getting drawn to the background. Though the colors are muted a bit, I feel takes the focus away from your plants, decor, and fish. Speaking of which, those threadfins are awesome. I recall seeing this tank on another thread and the threadfins stood out.

I know it would be a bad idea to move the lava rock behind the crypts since they'll shield the Java Fern. Maybe I could incorporate it into another section of the tank. I plan on doing the rescape next week possibly, so I'm open to any ideas of where to reposition stuff. Maybe I could put the Crypt Wendtii 'red' next to the Undulata 'red' since they practically look the same. Then, I could put the Brown Wendtii into one big bunch? They are currently separated. Maybe I could also rearrange the background plants. I'm wondering if my Amazon Swords are taking away from my aquascape too. I might consider some other plants in that area. About the Threadfins, I plan on making them my showcase fish. Thanks for the complements about them! I need to get more females to have an even ratio with the males.

I'll draw a possible layout tomorrow, and I'll let you guys judge it. I'm considering buying some flame moss to put on my new driftwood; my Java Moss is becoming a pain.

Yes, drawing it out and replacing the Java Moss would both be good ideas. I just think that you've gotta remember a few things:
1. Keep it bright. Bright tanks are easy to see and look good. You should remove some of the floating plants at least, not necessarily all.
2. But tall things, like the lava rock, in the back.
3. Get a variety of plant types and leaf structures. Some Staurogyne repens would definitely look great and grow well in this tank, but more stem plants would definitely help it out.

Yes, drawing it out and replacing the Java Moss would both be good ideas. I just think that you've gotta remember a few things:
1. Keep it bright. Bright tanks are easy to see and look good. You should remove some of the floating plants at least, not necessarily all.
2. But tall things, like the lava rock, in the back.
3. Get a variety of plant types and leaf structures. Some Staurogyne repens would definitely look great and grow well in this tank, but more stem plants would definitely help it out.

Here is a possible plan:

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406776451.063887.jpg

And here is what the lava rock looks like to maybe give you an idea about how I can properly incorporate it into the aquascape: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406776516.707405.jpg

Also, would a plain black or blue background make my tank look better? I have a background that has a picture of a planted tank, as you might see in a couple of the pictures.

Okay, I've decided to throw out the Red Root Floater. It's getting ugly and dying for the most part, so there is no point in keeping it. I might get a little bit of Duckweed to provide some cover for my Threadfins. Don't worry though, I know Duckweed is "dangerous" if left to its own devices.

Good decision on the floater. The lava rock should go in the back/middle, maybe with crypts in the front. I think your plan looks good so far. I think you should allow for more room for the driftwood and crinum. Everything else seems good as far as I know. I don't know how tall that cyperus helferi grows, might wanna make sure it will be visible. But I don't have any idea about its max height so maybe not. Just a possible concern.

Good job so far. Keep it up!

Future Plans:

By August 9 to August 16:
• Add 1" of Eco-Complete
• Rescape tank, and finally leave it alone, besides possibly swapping plants and/or getting more plants.

By January 1, 2015:
• Purchase this CO2 system from GLA: http://greenleafaquariums.com/products/gla-gro-co2-system.html
• Purchase this diffuser from GLA: http://greenleafaquariums.com/co2-diffusers/atomic-diffuser-50.html

By the end of January 2015:
• Have CO2 system set up and running properly.

By this time next summer:
• Have fish/invert stock complete and have a beautiful planted aquarium that "wows" any viewer.

I understand that my tank won't look fantastic until the CO2 system is set up, but it gives me plenty of planning/money saving/research time. I think I know how to set up the CO2 system that I'm looking at as it looks pretty simple. I just have one question: is a drop checker necessary? Can I find CO2 levels through another method?

Good decision on the floater. The lava rock should go in the back/middle, maybe with crypts in the front. I think your plan looks good so far. I think you should allow for more room for the driftwood and crinum. Everything else seems good as far as I know. I don't know how tall that cyperus helferi grows, might wanna make sure it will be visible. But I don't have any idea about its max height so maybe not. Just a possible concern.

Good job so far. Keep it up!

Thanks fish! The Cyperus plant can get 8-20 inches in height, so that's why I opted to put it in the back. It just takes a little while to get going.

Oh no! My Crinum calamistratum appears to be rotting! Is there anything I could do, or is it a goner? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407112660.763249.jpg

On the bright side, the L. repens is looking good ?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1407114667.936794.jpg

Also, I planted some Alternanthera reineckii 'cardinalis'. Is this plant easy to keep--in terms of keeping its red color?

IMO the dual t5ho fixture at that depth (~16") should be enough to keep AR red. At least the top set of leaves.

Back
Top Bottom