Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everyone! I thought I'd create a new thread about my tank since I won't actually be having an Asian Biotope anymore. I would of liked to stick with the idea of the Asian Biotope, but I just can't stay away from some of the non-Asian plants. This is my first high-tech planted tank, so you can get the idea. I've had low-tech tanks before, but have never had the opportunity to try some of these greats that you all keep. I do like my Asian fish, so I'm going to keep the stocking the same. I do still have a couple old tetras and a Threadfin Rainbowfish that swims with my Harlequins. I'll just leave them be. The Tetras are getting old; I've had them for quite some time, so I don't expect them to live too much longer. Now about the plants, I have a plan of what might be added.

New plants to be added: Echindorus "Vesusvius"/Corkscrew Val/Tiger Val, a new bunch of Rotala rotundifolia, some type of Hygrophilia, AR Mini.

Possible plants that could be added: Dwarf Hairgrass/S. Repens/Marsilea sp., Red Tiger Lotus, Limnophilia aromatica.

Plant subtractions: Cyperus helferi, possibly the Crinum Calamistratum plant if certain circumstances come about with it.

Plants to be maintained: All Crypts, Downoi, Blyxa japonica, Pogo erectus, Java Fern on DW, Rotala rotundifolia (new, healthier bunch...so that this plant can get a good start this time)

Go Reds!

Following this thread now. Not much of a techie so I will be learning mostly

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yup, I'm following over from the biotope thread, too. I'm also dissatisfied with my cyperus helferi. Maybe I should replace it with some Val?

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

Yup, I'm following over from the biotope thread, too. I'm also dissatisfied with my cyperus helferi. Maybe I should replace it with some Val?

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

I'd go for it. My Cyperus is just too slow, and I won't be replacing my Crypts anytime soon (My Kuhlis love them). If I was to get Val, I would try to get one that doesn't get too big. Tiger Val and Corkscrew Val are intriguing. Although, Echinodorus "Vesuvius" looks like it would twist more sharply than Corkscrew Val; plus I've had great success with plants from the Echinodorus genus.

Go Reds!

Ok I'll keep my eyes peeled once the weather warms up... Had a bad string of deliveries with the cold NE Ohio weather.

Looks like you're excited for baseball season! Are you from the Cincinnati area?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok I'll keep my eyes peeled once the weather warms up... Had a bad string of deliveries with the cold NE Ohio weather.

Looks like you're excited for baseball season! Are you from the Cincinnati area?

I actually live about 2 hours southeast of Cincinnati in the Portsmouth area. Once OSU football season ended (in huge success), I got into baseball mode! I shouldn't get too ahead of myself though. OSU bball hasn't ended yet.

Go Reds!

As an OSU alum, I am well aware of the great success story of football season :-D

I'm up in Cleveland so for me it's the Tribe (still cheer for the Reds in the national league though, yay Ohio!).

Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon High-Tech Tank

Okay everyone, I'm close to getting the new plan into place so that I can go on a plant shopping spree in the future. I can't decide between Tiger Val, Corkscrew Val, or Echinodorus "Vesuvius". Which plant would best suit my background and eat eat up some ferts? Also, is AR regular a hard plant to grow and keep red? I'd love to have this plant be a focal point next to my DW with Java Fern. Last question: would it look odd to place Red Tiger Lotus in the middle of my tank? I was thinking of putting it next to my Blyxa japonica and in front of my Pogo erectus.

Possible plan:

Background: Tiger Val or Corkscrew Val or Echinodorus "Vesuvius", Pogo erectus, Hygrohilia "Siamensis", AR, DW w/ Java Fern, and Crypt Undulata (my Crypt corner is starting to look nice).

Midground: Crypt Wendtii (regular), Red Tiger Lotus, Bylxa japonica, the DW w/ Java Fern, and Crypt undulata.

Foreground: Downoi, Dwarf Hairgrass, and S. repens.

Note: This tank's height is 16 in.

Go Reds!

The Vals should fill up the back vertically. I think you can trim them if they get too fall. Not sure about the Vesuvius; you could check with Brookster because he grew them at one time.
I think you need decent light to get the upper sides of the leaves red.
The lily should be okay in the middle. However, slightly off center.

The Vals should fill up the back vertically. I think you can trim them if they get too fall. Not sure about the Vesuvius; you could check with Brookster because he grew them at one time.
I think you need decent light to get the upper sides of the leaves red.
The lily should be okay in the middle. However, slightly off center.

I think I'll get either Corkscrew Val or Tiger Val. Also, I might try the easier AR. Is there a huge difference between AR "Roseafolia" and AR "Rosenavig"?

Also, completely off topic from the plants, could I put some Dwarf Pea Puffers in my tank? I'd like to get something to eat on my snails. Would my Honey Dwarf Gourami harm these puffers, or vise versa? Would they be compatible with Harlequin Rasboras and some loaches? Thanks

Go Reds!

Actually, I take back the Dwarf Pea Puffer idea. They look like they'll be too aggressive to be with the Dwarf Honey Gourami. It looks like I might have to try an army of Assassin Snails.

Go Reds!

Actually, I take back the Dwarf Pea Puffer idea. They look like they'll be too aggressive to be with the Dwarf Honey Gourami. It looks like I might have to try an army of Assassin Snails.

Go Reds!

Are the problem snails pond snails? What kind of numbers are we talking about?
I've had pond snails in my tank since late summer and they are reproducing but as for overpopulating, it's not happening. Then again, very little food goes in the tank because of the low fish population and there are quite a few MTS already in here.

Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon High-Tech Tank

Are the problem snails pond snails? What kind of numbers are we talking about?
I've had pond snails in my tank since late summer and they are reproducing but as for overpopulating, it's not happening. Then again, very little food goes in the tank because of the low fish population and there are quite a few MTS already in here.

Yeah. The population isn't huge or anything out of control, it is just enough to annoy me though. I think a group of 5-8 Assassin Snails should clear up the issue. They are relatively overpriced in my state's grand fish store (about $10 per snail...yikes ?), so I might try to acquire them on here.

Concerning the plant population, I'm considering getting Bacopa caroliniana to replace the Rotala. I think it would complement the Java Fern better than the Rotala or Hygrophilia "siamensis". I've also read on a TPT thread that AR 'mini' can be easier to grow than regular AR. Tom Barr said that anyway. Is this the same for you? I might get both AR 'mini' and AR 'rosaefolia'.

By the way, the Blyxa that you sent me is starting to get really green and nice looking. The Downoi is starting to somewhat root in. Also, the Pogo's new growth is looking good. The old growth is sort of stringy, so I'll chop it off once this plant takes off.

Go Reds!

From what I have seen of the b. Caroliniana it os a really nice plant, mine had probably a 90% melt but is slowly coming back.

From what I have seen of the b. Caroliniana it os a really nice plant, mine had probably a 90% melt but is slowly coming back.

I've seen many people on this forum that have had pleasant success with it. The good thing about many of the plants that I want is that they can be found in Petsmart gel packs or through other members on here.

Go Reds!

Mine was shipped to me by another member. Not sure if it was frozen or not because my dad brought the box inside a few hours before I got home. It seems to be bouncing back now which is nice :)

Good luck with yours!

Mine was shipped to me by another member. Not sure if it was frozen or not because my dad brought the box inside a few hours before I got home. It seems to be bouncing back now which is nice :)

Good luck with yours!

Thanks Fish Wrangler!

I think I got this plan set in stone now.

Background (in order from left to right): Corkscrew Vallisneria, Pogo erectus, AR 'rosaefolia', Bacopa caroliniana, DW w/ Java Fern, Crypt corner

Midground: Crypt Wendtii 'green', AR 'mini', Blyxa japonica, DW w/ Java Fern, Crypt corner

Foreground: Downoi, Dwarf Hairgrass, Staurogyne repens

I'm going to try to get many of these plants in a span of a week or two so that I can finally balance my tank. Algae will be defeated with this nutrient-sucking lineup!

Go Reds!

I think you could get away with fewer assassins to keep things under control.
Glad the plants are thriving. Pogo behavior sounds typical. I like Bacopa caroliniana. I've had it grow out of the tank (emersed). Does well in low to high light. Between AR and AR mini, IME the latter had more incidents of curled, deformed growth due to nutrient and/or CO2 deficiencies.

I think you could get away with fewer assassins to keep things under control.
Glad the plants are thriving. Pogo behavior sounds typical. I like Bacopa caroliniana. I've had it grow out of the tank (emersed). Does well in low to high light. Between AR and AR mini, IME the latter had more incidents of curled, deformed growth due to nutrient and/or CO2 deficiencies.

Maybe 5 snails would suffice then. What is the PAR for your tank? Just wanting to do a little comparison. I think I'll have the ferts covered once I up the phosphate in my micros bottle. I'm going to up my CO2 when I increase the plant biomass.

Go Reds!

Back
Top Bottom