Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Planted Odyssey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Suffered no melt what so ever to any of my buces. Not a single leaf melted

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Maybe the ro mix helped?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Since going low tech i use probably 80/20 tap now. Everything is on easy street

Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Low-Light Tank

A little update:

One of the Buces appears to be dead, as 2 of the others are going through some melting. The Brownie 2015 is doing the best right now, as the Catherinae is doing well as of the moment. I'm going to do a mini rescape so that the tank will flow better. The Crypt wendtii red will be moved to the left corner, as the driftwood that has the Windelov Java Fern and Buces will be moved away from the corner. I'm going to add some Echinodorus parviflorus in the mid ground with a small crypt and some Dwarf Sag. Be paying attention to the classifieds section in the next week or so as I'll be posting a wanted ad for some plants!

What do you guys think of this idea?

If the a majority of the Buces don't survive (or all of them if that happens), I can put Anubias nana petite on the branches of the spider wood, and the larger Anubias sp. can go on the lower part of the driftwood. This is the driftwood that is in the left corner.

The Brownie Ghost 2015 and Catherinae are the ones that I think might survive.

How do you find low tech Fish? You enjoying the swap??

Ive recently added an airstone hidden behind some mini java fern. Its on a timer to come on before co2, and a little bit after too. Such a noticeable difference in tank health and certainly fish behaviour

How do you find low tech Fish? You enjoying the swap??

Ive recently added an airstone hidden behind some mini java fern. Its on a timer to come on before co2, and a little bit after too. Such a noticeable difference in tank health and certainly fish behaviour

I'm enjoying it a lot! I find the maintenance aspect of it to be very nice. I haven't trimmed in 3 weeks. Also, it is night and day when compared to high tech when it comes to algae--there's barely anything on the glass, even with a low plant mass at the moment. I just need to get more plants in the tank.

Do you still have Crypt flamingo? If I can find some, I might give it a try.

No i placed it poorly where it received very little light. Never got going really. Melted away to nothing and never came back. Shame really

No i placed it poorly where it received very little light. Never got going really. Melted away to nothing and never came back. Shame really

Aww, that sucks. I'll get one more crypt besides the Wendtii bronze and red. I just don't know which type I want yet. I'd like to get something that I've never had before (mark out balansae, wendtii, undulata) for the mid ground. Any thoughts?

Aww, that sucks. I'll get one more crypt besides the Wendtii bronze and red. I just don't know which type I want yet. I'd like to get something that I've never had before (mark out balansae, wendtii, undulata) for the mid ground. Any thoughts?

I like the look of Crypt bullosa. It doesn't look expensive from what I've seen. This plant is a possible option. I might sell or trade my Crypt wendtii 'red' for other crypts.

Picture update to come in 30 minutes or so. The Buces are in better shape than I thought. The roots have grown and only a few leaves have melted. One completely died, but I just put the Catherinae in its spot. The Red Flame Sword is looking great. No rescape is needed, and I'll keep the Crypt wendtii 'red'. I think I'll put Dwarf Sag and Crypt bullosa in the mid ground to complete that part of scape. I'll get a couple Anubias nana 'petite' to put on the driftwood's branches. I'm unsure of how to complete the background. Maybe some Vals and Crypt undulata/a Red Tiger Lotus?

Do you guys think Crypt undulata would be a suitable background plant behind the driftwood that has the Buces and Windelov J. Fern? My tank is only 16 inches in height. I thought I could put some Corkscrew Val next to that, then there would be the sword and some Crypt balansae. Thoughts?

Another option would be a different sword (not Red Flame) to put behind the driftwood. A smaller sword.

Crypt undulata grew to within 2-3" of the surface in my 20 long (12" tall tank). So, about half the height of your tank (if that helps).

Crypt undulata grew to within 2-3" of the surface in my 20 long (12" tall tank). So, about half the height of your tank (if that helps).

Hmm... I'll need something a little taller. Maybe Crypt retrospiralis? If it would contrast Corkscrew Val, it might be an option.

Crypt undulata grew 3 inches from the top of my 20 tall. It was touching the front and back glass. It didnt start out that way though, it was a 2 or 3 year old plant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Off topic, but I think I spotted a new leaf on the Buce Brownie purple.

Back
Top Bottom