Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Planted Odyssey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finally! Crypt heaven. When things fill in it will be a crypt playground.
Is that a Finnex 24/7 on top? If so, what mode/percent are you running it at? I'm running mine at 10-20% in my shrimp tank.
Subwassertang does well in a variety of light settings. A few clumps would provide immediate cover for the kuhlis. Holler if you're interested; I've got plenty.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Why can't I do that? ☹️ why can't I visualise how the tank is going to look in a years time WHILST I am planting. I am completely incapable of coming up with a planned out scape like this haha.

You can already see just how great this tank is going to look when it fills in. The crypt placement and the spider wood.

Love it. ?

Haha, this was basically a "see if it looks right" planting. I'm hoping it look good a year from now. In my case, planned scapes never come to fruition. There's always surprise plants that pop up, or surprising plant sizes to account for. That why I thought: "This would be a great jungle tank. I can just throw stuff together and get away with it." Luckily jungle aquascapes and Crypts mesh well.

Finally! Crypt heaven. When things fill in it will be a crypt playground.
Is that a Finnex 24/7 on top? If so, what mode/percent are you running it at? I'm running mine at 10-20% in my shrimp tank.
Subwassertang does well in a variety of light settings. A few clumps would provide immediate cover for the kuhlis. Holler if you're interested; I've got plenty.

Yes, I have a Finnex 24/7 on 30% power. I'll have to pass on the Subwassertang for now; I might call you up on it when the tank fills in a bit. The Kuhlis are loving the evolving Crypt playground. I'm wondering if it is an instinctive behavior for them to feel more comfortable around the native Crypt species.

The final plant addition (for now) ended up being some TC Crypt undulata "red". It was placed in the background, but I'll take a while until it is tall enough to be considered a background plant. This tank is officially a Crypt forest, and as Fresh said, a soon-to-be Crypt playground.

Cryptocoryne forest

The Crypt undulata "red" is too small right now, but it should eventually make a nice contrasting background plant--I'm expecting it to get 8-10 inches in height. The tank is root tabbed up, so all it needs over the next couple months is the occasional trim, weekly cleanings, root tab supplementation every 2 months, and monthly filter cleanings.

It's looks great now and will just more and more amazing.

I just want to fast forward this tank. What bps are you running now!

I'm curious whether you need less co2 to achieve a green colour now there is less plant mass that may not require as much.

I just want to fast forward this tank. What bps are you running now!

I'm curious whether you need less co2 to achieve a green colour now there is less plant mass that may not require as much.

The CO2 is currently ran at 1 bps. I basically adjust it based on if I spot any algae on the Anubias or if any BBA appears. This tank doesn't require a ton of CO2, which means that I don't have to use a ton of flow. 7x water turnover rate is good enough due to this being a lower energy system. Plus, if any fish would happen to die, I can get slow moving fish for the tank.

Filled up the CO2 cylinder today, but I forgot to take off the brass permaseal and it got lost in transition. The CO2 will be off for a few days, but I promptly ordered two brass permaseals. They should arrive early next week. No biggie.

I had to google brass permaseal. Handy piece of equipment. I'm still using the flexible washers. The place I get the tank refilled has been (kindly) replacing the washer every time I bring it in. So far it's been keeping a seal.
I could not go a week without CO2 unless I dropped the lights down super low. But you already know that.

I had to google brass permaseal. Handy piece of equipment. I'm still using the flexible washers. The place I get the tank refilled has been (kindly) replacing the washer every time I bring it in. So far it's been keeping a seal.
I could not go a week without CO2 unless I dropped the lights down super low. But you already know that.

I was given a washer from the fire equipment store, but it didn't fit well with the GLA equipment.

Today is filter cleaning day. It badly needs a cleaning. I'm also putting a new O ring on the filter as the old O ring, which is nearly 8 years old, has been making it harder to put the filter head back on easily the past couple cleanings.

Instead of posting many photos, I decided to make a video of the tank. Now you guys can see the fish better, along with the plants swaying in the current. I used iMovie and YouTube. I hope you all like it. A new perspective of the tank:

Instead of posting many photos, I decided to make a video of the tank. Now you guys can see the fish better, along with the plants swaying in the current. I used iMovie and YouTube. I hope you all like it. A new perspective of the tank:

If you'd like a more precise and clear video, choose 720p under the quality icon.

I went to you tube after copying the link. I never hear the sound using the iPhone app.

Very nice and I love it that kuhli's everywhere enjoy wiggling thru their plants.

I went to you tube after copying the link. I never hear the sound using the iPhone app.

Very nice and I love it that kuhli's everywhere enjoy wiggling thru their plants.

That's odd about the sound, but I picked a random YouTube "calm" song, so no biggie.

I've never been able to capture good pictures of the Kuhlis or show them off really, but making a video finally allowed me to do that. I'm thinking I'll do another video update in December when the tank is a little more grown in.

I could hear the music on the mobile app (iPhone). Not at first. I had to turn my ringer ON.
Very calming. I like the subtle fade in effects with the video; makes for nice transitions. I need to try that app.
Oddly, I've noticed when viewing You Tube Videos through the mobile app, the typical options (report, share, quality) are not present. However, if viewing the link in the YouTube app, then they are available.

I could hear the music on the mobile app (iPhone). Not at first. I had to turn my ringer ON.
Very calming. I like the subtle fade in effects with the video; makes for nice transitions. I need to try that app.
Oddly, I've noticed when viewing You Tube Videos through the mobile app, the typical options (report, share, quality) are not present. However, if viewing the link in the YouTube app, then they are available.

Technology can be odd at times. iMovie is very easy to use and allows for an easy collage of videos.

I forgot to mention this, but at or around 1:30, you can see the Crypt wendtii "FL sunset". I don't know what color I'll get out of it as it varies from tank to tank, but hopefully it'll add a nice red contrast. At worst it'll look like Crypt wendtii "bronze".

I've been freakishly busy with work lately, but I thought it was time for a picture update. After one month, the tank is starting to fill in.

I'd say that's filling in rather nicely. I thought it was a 55g (then I scrolled back to the thread title).

Yeah I agree. Starting to see what's going on here. Looks really impressive. Those crypts have grown fast!

Back
Top Bottom