Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Planted Odyssey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To be honest, I did not even notice the background. I just noticed how everything else looked good. Which I guess means the background did its job.
This has come quite a way since when you had the threadfins.

Thanks everyone! This tank has been through many phases, and I'm glad to be finally settling down with this build. It'll be nice for the tank to have some stability for once.

If I had less flow in this tank, I'd consider getting some Threadfins again. They'd be a great fish for a low tech tank. I'm thinking about Pencilfish, Furcata Rainbowfish, Corydoras, or small tetras (Ember Tetras, for example), as the last fish addition.

The tank is still about the same. The past two weeks, I've had to get out the good 'ole fishing line to secure some Buce and Anubias that didn't want to stay down. I thought I had sold off all of the Thunder Leaf Java Fern, but when I lifted a piece of driftwood up out of the tank, I found a small rhizome (maybe half an inch) with one leaf. I found a small spot for it, so I'll just let it grow out. The Needle Leaf/Narrow Leaf Java Fern in the back is starting to go nuts. Some of it is ready to be propagated, so I'm tuck the small plants in nooks and crannies. The Apistos are still doing well!

Lemme know when you have way too much of it (needle leaf) and it needs a good home![emoji13]

Just a couple photos of some of the plants.

l53gOAp.jpg

e3Zc2qF.jpg

vWCGpXM.jpg

I still have a few areas in the tank that needed some plant coverage, so I ordered some Bucephalandra sp. Solid Blue. I have two small pieces of manzanita soaking. I thought about going with just Anubias, but a part of the driftwood region needs some color.

I still have a few areas in the tank that needed some plant coverage, so I ordered some Bucephalandra sp. Solid Blue. I have two small pieces of manzanita soaking. I thought about going with just Anubias, but a part of the driftwood region needs some color.

Last night I tied down a lot of the Bucephalandra sp. Solid Blue. I'm still waiting on the small piece of manzanita to sink. I've boiled the piece twice, so I'm thinking it should be ready soon. Once it's ready, I'll tie down the rest. The new Buce's leaves melted a little bit in transition, but the rhizomes are green, solid, and healthy; therefore, it should return to form in a few months. I also tied down the Ishikawa Island Java Fern, and as a result, I had to move a few pieces of manzanita to different spots--I like the locations of the driftwood pieces though (nothing drastic). I heavily trimmed the Needle/Narrow/Threadleaf Leaf Java Fern (I have them mixed now) to stimulate new leaf production--I probably cut 20+ leaves that had grown in old tanks. Takashi Amano once said the following:

"...An important point for attaching a member of the fern family is to cut off old leaves of ferns, such as Bolbitis and Microsorum, as much as possible before attaching them to driftwood. Old mature leaves do not easily adapt to a new environment and algae tend to grow on them. The tip of a young growing leaf of Microsorum is transparent. You should keep mainly these young leaves and cut off old ones. In the case of Bolbitis, you can cut off most of the large leaves. In an extreme case it is quite fine to attach only the rhizomes to driftwood. Doing so allows the ferns to develop clean new leaves that are adapted to the new aquarium environment..."

That's an interesting read - I do find plants need to adapt.

Was wondering if you used anything special for trimming Java Fern? I use my fingers but find stems like small wires - toughest plant I've got.

That's an interesting read - I do find plants need to adapt.

Was wondering if you used anything special for trimming Java Fern? I use my fingers but find stems like small wires - toughest plant I've got.

I just use some scissors, nothing fancy. I've found that in the past, there is a certain point when Java Fern "explodes" in growth--usually many months of being in the same environment.

Yesterday I did a mini rescape with the manzanita driftwood. A lot of the Needle/Narrow Java Fern and Threadleaf Java Fern just wouldn't stay down with the plant glue, so I got out the good old fishing line and secured pretty much every rhizome plant. The scape looks a little different. The Ishikawa Island Java Fern is more towards the front now so that I can enjoy it more. The Bucephalandra sp. Royal Blue contrasts the green Buce well. In the end, I ended up taking out all of the driftwood pieces. I didn't end up using the small piece of manzanita that I had soaking, so if I would want to get a few more plants, I could do so (it'd probably be Anubias). I'll post some pictures after the next water change.

It'll take some time for the Java Fern to grow to a nice height, but I shouldn't have to trim it for quite some time. Here's the updated tank photos:

SbPD5Q3.jpg

The Crypt nurii "Rosen Maiden" is doing well
9xys4KU.jpg

dtkGpQ9.jpg

Bucephalandra sp. Solid Blue
uch72pE.jpg

oZEiFqi.jpg

OJLMsIL.jpg

FTS shots:
lQ2lP1D.jpg

lQ2lP1D.jpg

pwLVHAg.jpg

This upcoming weekend, I'll do a filter cleaning. From here on out, unless I change something drastic with the scape, picture updates will be provided once every one or two months. Growth is very slow, and not much will change. This way, you guys can see changes in plant height and what not.

Looks great! Plants are nice and healthy too [emoji106] can't wait to see this tank in 6 months time.

Thanks! Funny story about what happened this morning:

I was getting ready for work and I went to get a shower. After the shower, I walked into the living room to see my pug snacking on some sinking bottom feeder wafers. She is a sneaky dog! It looks like I'll have to keep the door closed at all times when I'm not around to watch her.

Lol. My pug has sniffed the food but never taken any. She would much rather have a jerky treat.

Back
Top Bottom