Fishenthusiast's 30 Gallon Rescape/Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I won't comment on the fish stocking because i am not familiar with all types listed, though one day I would like to have threadfins and kuhlis.
If you can post a current pic of the tank we'd get a better idea on the sword placement. Initially I would have said "One in each corner" but that implies symmetry. Depending on the size, maybe one in the corner and the other next to it.
Will you be getting the pressurized CO2 setup in October? You could order/use Metricide as a cost effective carbon source to address some of the issues you mentioned. It's cheaper than Excel. It can even be used in addition the the pressurized CO2.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Update:

I'm going to do a water change tomorrow. I'm still thinking of where to place everything, what plants to add, etc. Where would you guys place two Amazon Swords? In the corner or in the middle of my tank? I plan on adding R. Wallichi or some type of Pogo stem plant. Staurogyne repens will make up my entire foreground, except for a little area that will have some Downoi (cool plant). CO2 is 95% of my tank's problem, so once it is installed, my tank should look way better. I'll do the rescape prior to this though. Other than that, this will be my future tank stock (at the moment...it could change anytime):

6 Assassin Snails (saw some more tiny snails in the tank today)
7 Kuhli Loaches
3 Panda Garra
10-12 Threadfin Rainbowfish
1 Electric Blue Ram
8 Ember Tetras

That stock looks good. Maybe start with 10 rainbow fish before going to 12.

I won't comment on the fish stocking because i am not familiar with all types listed, though one day I would like to have threadfins and kuhlis.
If you can post a current pic of the tank we'd get a better idea on the sword placement. Initially I would have said "One in each corner" but that implies symmetry. Depending on the size, maybe one in the corner and the other next to it.
Will you be getting the pressurized CO2 setup in October? You could order/use Metricide as a cost effective carbon source to address some of the issues you mentioned. It's cheaper than Excel. It can even be used in addition the the pressurized CO2.

View attachment 248766

View attachment 248767

View attachment 248768

There you go!
I will be getting pressurized CO2 in October if everything goes according to plan. I'm almost out of Excel, so yeah, I'll get some Metricide. I just did a huge water change. There was junk all over the substrate in one area of my tank. I'm glad I got it cleaned up. My Cyperus helferi is still green, but the pressurized CO2 should help it a lot. My Ludwigia leaves are droopy looking, but it is still growing like crazy. Again, CO2 is to blame (the droopy leaves). Here is the DW I have to work with once I do the rescape:View attachment 248769
All of the hardscape, besides the small lava rocks, will be taken out and replaced by those two pieces of DW.

That stock looks good. Maybe start with 10 rainbow fish before going to 12.

Good idea Fishperson. I'll do that.

The photos aren't opening for me. Sorry! Here they are: ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409621343.028134.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409621360.821625.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409621375.667727.jpg

Update:

Sadly, one of my Threadfin Rainbowfish died today. It will be the third female that has died on me. It is odd that only the females have died though. Right now, I have 4 males and a female. Originally I had 4 males and 4 females. I don't know if I'll be purchasing any more of these since they cost $17 from the place I purchase them from. Ugh...

I've been thinking, could it be possible to have a nice planted tank, but at lower temperatures (75 degrees Fahrenheit)? I might convert my tank over to a colder watered, high water flowing tank. Just an idea... I'd have fish such as Hillstream Loaches and Danios/Minnows, etc.

Perhaps dwarf sag and smaller varieties of vallesneria may work in this setup. Maybe java fern.

The worse thing about it was that they got defeated at home by that score. I feel sorry for the fans that attended. If that would happen to my Buckeyes at their home stadium, there would be a mass riot in Columbus.

VT surprised folks last night, especially on defense.

Perhaps dwarf sag and smaller varieties of vallesneria may work in this setup. Maybe java fern.

VT surprised folks last night, especially on defense.

Sad loss for my Buckeyes. The O line needs some work. VT played hard though.

Hey guys! I'm BAAACCKKK! Haha. Sorry for the absence in posts as I've been freakishly busy lately and have been neglecting my tank to an extent. I've decided to buy the CO2 system at the end of December, so I won't have many plant updates until afterwards. More time for planning, less huried decisions. I won't be buying any plants until it is set up. As for my fish stock, that's a different story. I've had some deaths in the past month. My current stock is as follows:

3 Bentos Tetras
3 Threadfin Rainbowfish
2 Panda Garra
1 Ram
Many snails (the Assassins have had some offspring, so I'm hoping for a reduction in the pond snail population)

The Threadfins and tetras seem to be getting to end of their days, so I'm going to retool my stock sometime soon in the near future. I was thinking about Marbled Hatchets and some type of hardy tetra/rasbora to replace the Bentos Tetras and Threadfins when they die. I'll let you guys know that I have a pH around 7.4-7.6ish, if that even matters. I've read that Marbled Hatchets also like a moderate water flow? Is that true? If so, they would make a good addition to my tank if the pH wouldn't be a factor.

Hey guys, the tank is going to be converted into an Asian biotipe. Well, for the most part. All of the fish that I'll get will be Asian. Barbs, Rasboras, Invertebrates, Gouramis, Loaches, etc. Since Asian fish like cooler waters, I'll lower the temp down to 75-77 when this project gets underway. Harlequin Rasboras will be a must, along with Panda Garra Loaches and Kuhli Loaches. I'd like to have hardier fish/inverts if possible. Asian plant suggestions will be helpful. As I said, the CO2 system will be set up in late December, and the beginnings of the rescape will begin over the Thanksgiving holiday. After Thanksgiving, I'll start to add new fish. I'll create a new thread when that comes around and shut down this one. I see a bright future ahead for my tank, and I hope you all be around to see my first Asian tank! I've had a South American and African biotipe before, and they were fun at first, but got bland over time. Hopefully it'll be different this time!

Oops, not sure where the link went: Asia Biotope

Cool! Thanks Fresh! I know this will be the stock for the tank:

4 Panda Garra Loaches
6-7 Kuhli Loaches
10-12 Harelquin Rasboras
Another school of fish--8 fish for this one
2 Dwarf Gourami or Honey Gourami

What hardy fish do you think would make a good fit in the other school?

Hey guys, this will be my last post on this thread. I will be creating a new thread about this same tank, but just in a different aspect of what it will become: an Asian biotope. I hope to see you all there! And remember, CO2 infusion is only 2 months away!

Back
Top Bottom