fishfanatsics 40 gallon high aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
This tank has been set up for about a year, but I need to stop making new threads ever time I have a question about my tank.
I am going to list the hard ware that makes up my tank:
Duel T5HO Glo light fixture
Marineland reef compatable LED
Pressurized co2
Aqueon 150 Watt heater
Fluval 305 filter
Specialized plant substrate

My fish stock is very sad right now (my schools have fallen apart and I realize that I need to do better with my schools or my fish will suffer)
1 koi anglefish
3 gardneri killifish
1 GBR
4 amano shrimp
2 neon tetras
3 Kerri tetras
1 silver hatchet fish
1 glofish
1 haliquin rasbora
2 SAE
2 rossy barbs
And a few horned nerite snails

My first question: I want to know what plant you think should be put in the back left hand corner of my tank? I would also like to know your opinion as to what fish I should start increasing the numbers of? I don't think I can have that many schools in a 40 gallon tank and not be over stocked what do you think?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110629_181436.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110629_181436.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
The back left corner needs a tall fine-leaved plant like cabomba or ambulia to complement the broad-leaved plants you've already got.

I'd start with more hatchets, danios, and rasboras.

BigJim said:
The back left corner needs a tall fine-leaved plant like cabomba or ambulia to complement the broad-leaved plants you've already got.

I'd start with more hatchets, danios, and rasboras.

How many of each should I add? Then I will re home my kerris tetras and neon tetras, and possibly the rossy barbs

Another side note I will be upgrading my tank to a 75 gallon in the next few weeks

I don't think you need to rehome any fish, especially if you're upgrading tanks in the near future. Add three or four of each species and see how it goes.

rich311k said:
Barbs like to be in schools, angelfish do not.

I think I am going to re home the barbs anyways, because they like to beet up my plants.
I just noticed that my anglefish is acting kind of weird today, her fins are cramped and she is breathing fairly hard, but she is more active than I have ever seen. She almost appears to be looking for something outside the tank (she is rubbing up against the glass with her nose. For a while she was sitting in the back of the aquarium then I turned off the powerhead (thinking maybe too much current) then she immediately started to swim all over the place... and help would be great!

The current could be bothering her, I look at your stocking and think you should pick couple that you like, increase the size of there schools and see if you can trade in the rest. I like a couple bigger schools as compared to a bunch of little ones.

I just tested my water
Ammonia- 0.05
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 3

Could that small amount of ammonia be doing this to my anglefish?

I would not think so. I really do not think there is much for you to do, leave the powrhead off and watch her.

Another thing I have noticed is on the outside of her body (along were her fins meat her body) is red, it doesn't show up in the picture. Is she going to live?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110629_203042.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110629_203042.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 122
This picture shows the red by were her fin meats her body.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110629_203429.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110629_203429.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 140
Any ideas what this might be? I have not added any fish in over a month. I did add some nerite snails a few weeks ago. If you can't tell I am really worried about her. If you want an idea what she looks like normal look at my avatar. am I making this a bigger deal than it needs to be? Or is she going to die!?

I honestly have no experience with cichlids or angels personally, maybe one of the breeders on here will chime in with some insight.

Back
Top Bottom