Fishless cycle and plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dizzydea

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm doing a fishless cycle in my 110 gallon. I have to add 52 ml of ammonia to the tank and it's still not enough to get me to 5ppm. I'm worried that these amounts of ammonia are going the harm my plants? Do I still add fertilizer while adding my ammonia? What about my liquid co2? My actual co2 isn't hooked up.

How heavily planted is the tank? Or better yet can you post a picture? Also what is you lighting? Plants use ammonia but need more info before going any further.

How heavily planted is the tank? Or better yet can you post a picture? Also what is you lighting? Plants use ammonia but need more info before going any further.

Heres some pics, I need help with identification on the individual plant shots.

Attachments

• 154.jpg
    154.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 155.jpg
    155.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 51
  • 156.jpg
    156.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 158.jpg
    158.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 48
My sump in the pics is filled now of course!, my light holds 6 t5 bulbs 2 are ice cap 10000 for corals, and 3 are power glow for plants, and 1 is a blue accent light. I would have just put all power glo's in but my store only had 3. I figured it wouldnt hurt to keep the coral lights in.

Attachments

• 159.jpg
    159.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Fairview-20130102-00204.jpg
    Fairview-20130102-00204.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 51

and wow your tanks are awesome! I hope mine looks that way one day! Tell me everything :D

So I'm doing a fishless cycle in my 110 gallon. I have to add 52 ml of ammonia to the tank and it's still not enough to get me to 5ppm. I'm worried that these amounts of ammonia are going the harm my plants? Do I still add fertilizer while adding my ammonia? What about my liquid co2? My actual co2 isn't hooked up.

Honestly I'd only dose to 3ppm, others may not agree but that is alot of ammonia and you don't have that many plants. With plants in there you might cycle quicker but if you can get water sprite or wisteria and a few more stem plants it will go faster. I'd wait on the liquid carbon, ferts, and CO2 until your cycled.

That really tall leaf plant in the back left, it looks like Spathiphyllum (peace lily) which isn't a true aquatic. How long has that plant been in the tank? I'm not 100% sure. The stem plant in the single picture is green cabomba. The other stem plants I'm not sure Rotala, Ludwigia, Bacopa.

Well I'd put more plant but my foreground is the only opened spot, you think I should add some there as well? I have java tied to all my drift wood as well I hasent taken off yet though. Is my lighting situation ok?

Ya I knew the one plant was a peace lilly, they were in my one tank for almost a year but the tips of the leaves reached out of the water. I was thinking that it might not be the best plant for the job but it's was what I had. Do you have a better suggestion for a tall bushy plant? Also what's that pink fluffy thing in your tanks and the purple pinkish thing?

You could add Crypt Wendtii and Crypt Parva in the forground and if you move the cabomba in the back right and or left corners you could add water sprite or wisteria in there and then plant the Cabomba with the larger group in the middle back. Also I can't tell in the pic's but are the other stem plants you have planted individual stems like the cabomba is? If not you need to spread them out, try to remember when planting stem plants plant each stem individually with leaves almost but not quite touching the leaves of the stems around them.

Ya I knew the one plant was a peace lilly, they were in my one tank for almost a year but the tips of the leaves reached out of the water. I was thinking that it might not be the best plant for the job but it's was what I had. Do you have a better suggestion for a tall bushy plant? Also what's that pink fluffy thing in your tanks and the purple pinkish thing?

You could do an amazon sword, Corkscrew Vals, or any stem plant. I'm laughing cause I have several different species that have are pink. My guess is your looking at the Limnophila aromatica 'hippuroides'.

Here's a little close up... Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Album: 220g update 12/18/12 - Picture, the Limnophila is the single stem in the front right and on the left. The pink leaf plant behind the Limnophila is Rotala Macrandra, and the small stems with pink tips are Rotala Wallichii.

Lol yah there is three pink ones in that pick and I like them all! What are they? Also I'm gonna ask but I'm not sure I will like the answer......why do planted tanks always have tetras and angels? I like weird fish but I'm thinking they are probable quite destructive. Are there any fish I should absolutely stay away from? I don't mind nibbling but complete destruction I'm not ok with. What kind of ferts do you use? Sorry I literally could ask you 100 questions!

Lol yah there is three pink ones in that pick and I like them all! What are they? Also I'm gonna ask but I'm not sure I will like the answer......why do planted tanks always have tetras and angels? I like weird fish but I'm thinking they are probable quite destructive. Are there any fish I should absolutely stay away from? I don't mind nibbling but complete destruction I'm not ok with. What kind of ferts do you use? Sorry I literally could ask you 100 questions!

Here's the list again... Limnophila is the single stem in the front right and on the left. The pink leaf plant behind the Limnophila is Rotala Macrandra, and the small stems with pink tips are Rotala Wallichii.

You really need to research the fish you like. And by reseach part of that is typing in "do cherry barbs eat plants" (example). Then you see what other people who have them have to say. But many fish nibble plants... angelfish are one of them! I feed mine cooked, deshelled peas every 3 days to add plant material in their diet which helps cut down on plant nibbling. Thing is many tetras, barbs, and other common fish will nibble. Some of the safest non-nibblers I've kept over 30+ years are neon tetras, cardinal tetras, lemon tetras, pencilfish, harlequin rasboras, threadfin rainbows, neon dwarf rainbows, spotted blue eyes, white cloud mountian minnows, dwarf and honey gouramis, many killifish, most all nano fish, cory cats, glass cats, dwarf south american dwarf cichlids, and several others. Many fish not only eat plants but also cause issues by uprooting them. So you really need to do serious research before buying any fish.

Back
Top Bottom