Fishtank safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone this plant is growing in a stream by where I work and I was wondering if I can put it in my fish tank i like the way it looks

Attachments

• image-1937349962.jpg
    image-1937349962.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 116
  • image-816563854.jpg
    image-816563854.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 113
Do you know the name of it if not theres a book called the 101 best aquarium plants its a good book

No I am kind of wondering if anyone can identify it for me

I can't say, but my guess is that it's not a true aquatic plant .. since its not completely submerged. If you completely submerged it, there's a chance it would die, rot and foul your water.

Plenty of plants sold in LFS .. like Mondo Grass .... labeled aquatic but are not.

is that coming out from a pond?
or a small creek, or from a small puddle left from rain?
just curious.
I dont know the plant either. but sometimes, I guess, judging from how and where it is found can determine if it is aquatic or not.
my guess is, it is not aquatic.
like the post above, it is not fully submerged, so it cant be.

The only way to find out is try it (but first use a hydrogen peroxide dip). Actually many aquarium plants grow both emmersed and immersed. If this is such a plant and you submerse it, it will have to go though a leaf change to its immersed form. I have two plants I'm doing this with now. And don't be surprized if it changes how different it can look immersed from how it was originally growing emmersed. Just watch for any signs of the plant beginning to deterorate or outright die, and if so remove it. Since it is growing with it roots submersed totally in water I think it could probably grow in an immersed form. I say try it but do thoroughly dip it, wipe it gently with your fingers, and really inspect it well before add to your tank. Good luck!

Well my plan was to actually grow it in my filter. Im not trying to have a self sufficient tank just a better environment for my fish. I was just seeing if it was a low/high light plant. I will get it tomorrow and bring it home. I might get 2 and do One submersed and one in the hob

Edit it is from a small stream. It never dries out.

The one in the HOB will grow just be sure you give it adequate light, especially if it was growing in a place in direct sunlight.

Well would a bamboo be better for the hob I think it would look tacky with a separate light

I actually have a really big varigated potho's growing and hanging over the side of my 220g. I started them with some cuttings from one of my house plants and loosely tied the stems together, hung part of the stem in the water (with the leaves removed off the stems that were in the water), and drapped the rest of the stem with the leaves over the side and up against the hood. After about 4 months they have become a beautiful hanging plant, which is actively growing, with its roots in the water (using nutrients). The tetras and oto's like to hang around the roots and when the roots get too close to the substrate I just cut them shorter with sissors. It give a nice touch to the top and side of the tank, there is also alittle bit I let drape onto the front corner. I've seen alot of planted HOB filters, its becoming very popular but one thing I always noticed was they had them where they go some kind of light, either artifical or indirect from a window. They are pretty neat. I'll see if I can find the one and post a link to show you.

Thank you. My tank is near a window so I'm thinking something along the lines of a cactus or bamboo in the filter box. Maybe wrap the roots loosely in some sponge type material so I can take it out when cleaning. Or I thought about something on the inside top of the tank with substrate in it that I could plant it in. Maybe make A false cliff or even a mountain of rocks?

I found it, this is really long but go through and look at all the amazing ways people have added plants to HOB filters, in hanging containers, it's worth the time to go through. I've seriously considered trying one, they intrigue me!

Planted HOB thread.

hey! i didnt read that you were going to plant it in your filter.
i looked through the links that rivercats posted,
and wow!
i was amazed.
soo cool!!!

I've got a 20L sitting on a table against a window and the HOB gets all that light. I am seriously considering trying this out in the wisper 70 that is on it. I find this facinating, not to mention pretty cool.

Definitely some great looking tanks in there. I have decided I will try lucky bamboo. Thinking of getting 2 sponges and making a sack to root it in and for easy cleaning. the window will provide light the fish provide food. Seems simple enough. If anybody has done this on here feel free to chime in with tips or pics

Back
Top Bottom