Fitting a Finnex 24" ray 2 on a 29G (30")

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmdfunk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a high tech planted 20G tall tank, and I am going to be moving it all to a new 29g tank. I have a 24" finnex Ray 2 fixture, and I am wondering if anyone has any easy method of extending the legs somehow to fit on a longer tank. I could just sell my 24 inch and buy a 30 inch fixture, but I would lose money, and the 30" fixture is just a 24" in a longer housing, with LED's only along the middle 24" so I am not getting better output from the 30" than the 24"

As a related question, I am currently using the finnex Ray2 on the middle of my tank, and 2 cheaper Fluval Eco Brights. I run the eco brights (much dimmer) for like 8 hours a day, and then the Finnex Ray 2 for 6 hours in the middle of the day (so for 6 hours all 3 fixtures are on.) it is beautiful, and I have fantastic plant growth. and with CO2 and an extrnal reactor I am doing ok with algae prevention. ( imgur.com/gVe2ize )

The problem with this setup is that it takes up almost the entire top of the tank, and with my 29g, I wanted to have a more open tank. I found an awesome deal on a 30" finnex planted Plus. do you think I could get away with running both a planted plus and a ray 2 on my slightly taller 29g tank? (I would then either ditch the fluvals, or use them on a sump to grow moss.)

my two cents as Im going to be extending the legs on my light also for my new tank but its a completely different setup.

this yours?

99jorc.jpg

I would buy threaded rod, the same thread as your screws that hold it to the sides and extended with that.
If you dont like looking at the rod get pvc or some other pipe to cover the threads but its only a couple inches on each end right?
Then screw a nut on far enough to the inside of the tank, then another nut on the outside of the tank. You can buy them all in powerdercoated black from any hardware store.

You may even find a bracket you could use to screw to the rod ends but the rod is prob your best shot.

I have this light

81YEZmMz-kL._SL1500_.jpg

I was thinking of either just resting it on the lids as is or buying square metal a bit larger than whats on it and cutting the extenders then slipping them into the larger new metal. then slipping the feet ends in the other side and just setting them tight with a screw,

I will prob either upgrade or just add some cool looking pan lights on the sides.

Back
Top Bottom