Fixing low-light...advice needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosenweiss

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, we're trying to start a 29g planted tank, but right now, we only have the 20W, 1025 lumen fluorescent bulb that goes in the fixture... we know this is not enough light to maintain plant growth.

My question is, if we replaced this with a coralife t5 bulb made to grow corals in saltwater, would that be enough for growing plants? Even at lower watts? Here's the kind I was thinking:

Bulbs

Thanks for any input!

I think you'd be better off replacing or modifying the fixture or adding a second fixture. I've got two 18W CFLs over my 29g and I'd still call it a low-light tank. My low-light plants grow nicely and medium-light plants stay alive, but they don't really grow much.

We're thinking of replacing the fixture with one that has 2 22", 24W t5 bulbs. We think this will work well. =]

Thanks! It's not in our budget right now, but later on we will strongly consider upgrading to this.

I agree with the wpg rule, but I can tell you that my plants were growing good (not great growth mind you) running a 17w 6700K in my 37g tall, including Cabomba which requires a med light enviroment. YMMV.

I upgraded to a TT/CF 55w DIY kit from AH Supply, installed in my original kits lighthood and it works great. Going to do a couple more down the road.

http://www.ahsupply.com/36-55w.htm

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Back
Top Bottom