Flame moss dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

W1nt3rsh0wl

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I bought some flame moss from Jacob's aquarium and it was thriving very well, but now it's dying. Did i tie it down wrong? What light should I have for it. It's in a 20 gallon long with a finnex planted plus 24/7 with about 25 ghost shrimp. I dose flourish excel for carbon. All of my other planted grow like crazy but the flame moss is dying. Ive noticed most of the dead plant is near the base where it's tied. Any advice as to how I can save it and make it thrive?

so i bought some flame moss from jacob's aquarium and it was thriving very well, but now it's dying. Did i tie it down wrong? What light should i have for it. It's in a 20 gallon long with a finnex planted plus 24/7 with about 25 ghost shrimp. I dose flourish excel for carbon. All of my other planted grow like crazy but the flame moss is dying. Ive noticed most of the dead plant is near the base where it's tied. Any advice as to how i can save it and make it thrive?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1464709341.943817.jpg.

It's hard to say why it's not doing well. It may be the case of an adjustment period needed by the moss. Often you see only the active growing portions of plants thriving and the older sections dying off.
How tight is the mesh/webbing on that stone? Not sure if that is the culprit. What you may want to try is untie the mesh, reposition the moss so it is laying flat on the stone, cover with the mesh, and re-tie a little looser. The growing tips will send new growth upward in about a week (or less).
I've grown flame moss successfully in less light. I have some in my shrimp tank. It also has a 24/7 that is turned down because of a hair algae problem. I've used fishing line to tie it to driftwood.
I once filled a 20g long with this type of moss (no carbon, no ferts, less than ideal water changes, single 17w fluorescent bulb...tank had tetras and goldfish in it). Corner to corner 4-6" deep. No idea what I was doing. I saved a portion and placed it in a jar next to a window. Oddly, the great mass of moss turned brown and died off a few months later. However, that culture I had in the window was just enough to start it up again.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for your reply! I'll place it in one of my low light tanks and see if it takes off!

Back
Top Bottom