Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-16-2006, 08:47 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

[/quote]Suction cups sound good, but i dnt like the idea of having screws rusting in my tank...
[quote]

This is why stainless steel screws are usually suggested when mounting driftwood is attached to rock. Stainless steel is engineered to not corrode (rust) by increasing the amout of chrome in the steel.

Old 05-16-2006, 09:52 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to Annie/Aggie Send a message via Yahoo to Annie/Aggie
Well I ended up using the suction cups, I know it works great because I mistakenly bought "grape" driftwood wich supposedly will never sink voluntarily. It definitely got heavier but the pieces not attached by the cups are still happily floating around and they've been in the water 24 hrs. I did make a real mess of my tank though. getting them stuck onto a sandy bottom just about drove me nuts. It's all settled this morning though and looks great. The suction cups are holding wonderful.
For some reason though I was thinking about plumbing I guess when I bought the screws and I got brass ones, do I need to get them out of there right away?

Vases are for flowers, bowls are for soup and tanks are for fish..
Annie/Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:05 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

The brass screws should be OK, they aren't strong (as in don't build a deck with them....they're plenty strong for what you need) but won't rust. Even stainless will rust (or corrode) eventually, but I have 2 pieces of driftwood in my tank with slate bottoms that I have had for 10+ years with no problems.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:50 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to Annie/Aggie Send a message via Yahoo to Annie/Aggie
oh excellent, thanks newfound77951, being from the rock in my not so distant family history I will definitely trust anything you say if it has to do with water, boats or fish, lol..Thanks

Vases are for flowers, bowls are for soup and tanks are for fish..
Annie/Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:25 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ha ha.....well, i wouldn't trust EVERYTHING I say, but I'll do my best!!
Old 05-16-2006, 07:17 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

I found a really nice piece of driftwood at my LFS and it was already attached to a piece of slate on the bottom, they sell quite a few of them, from what I hear. It was pretty messy trying to get the base underneath my Flouite subtrate though, what a pain but now it's there to stay whether I like it or not.

Tags
drift, driftwood, floating

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com