floating plant for african cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davidmoss1992

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well its a quick ?, but what are some floating plants, That will do good with t5 lighting, preferably has roots growing into water and not fern or duckweed looking. Any ideas?:thanks:

Water lettuce. It's very effective for filtering your water in between weekly water changes.

I'll let ya know, just picked up a bunch of different floating plants from a member here. Will have them next week. I'll keep ya posted.

i appreciate it guys, definitely keep me posted. can you trim the roots on red root floater plants if they start to get to long?

The roots on red root floaters can be trimmed although it's very unlikely that will happen especially in a cichlid tank. I second the vote for dwarf water lettuce. unchecked the roots can grow to the bottom of the tank but again, very unlikely in a cichlid tank.

I had dwarf water lettuce in my tank with my cichlid. They really don't bother floating plants bbecause cichlids swin in mid and lower levels

Well I appreciate the help everyone and I think ill give the dwarf water lettuce a try, one I find some. :)

It grows very fast. I got mine because 2 other hobbyist throws a handful of them in the trash every week.

I found 5 bunches for $9.00 shipped. I figure ill give it try + thinking about getting 5 anubas for like $15.00. Now that im looking. I want to go planted.lol ebay

davidmoss1992 said:
I found 5 bunches for $9.00 shipped. I figure ill give it try + thinking about getting 5 anubas for like $15.00. Now that im looking. I want to go planted.lol ebay

You won't regret it!! Enjoy. Personally I think Cichlid tanks look killer when planted.

View attachment 72092

Oops!! lol sorry just realized we talked in two different threads about the tank and plants lol. Oh well another picture lol. Here's more then.

View attachment 72093

View attachment 72094

View attachment 72095

Last edited:
Well I dont mind, man your tanks cool. Did you get the anubius (bad speller) to grow strait on the slate pieces? Whats that vine looking plant ?

Slowly add the low-light plants (anubias and/or java fern). If you let water lettuce get out of control, they will soak up all the nutrients in the water and leave the low-light plants with nothing.

hydrocotyle leucocephala, or Brazilian pennywort might be a good choice it can be used anchored or floating and can grow a couple of inches a day under good conditions. it grows like a chain of lily pads and drops dangling roots at each leaf junction along the stem and seems nearly indestructible

Back
Top Bottom