Floating Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishkeeper26

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was at my lfs yesterday and in one of the show tanks I noticed as I was walking out had small floating plants that look basically like leaves but had roots. Unfortunately I was unable to get the name of the plant, does anyone know what they could possibly have been? Thanks!!!!

Sorry I don't have a picture, but I looked up the plants mentioned and I think it's duckweed. Thanks!!!!

Ok thanks, yea that's what I was reading online so I think im going to stay away from it. Thanks!

mfdrookie516 said:
Just be careful with duckweed...its a nitrate sponge,

Isn't that a good thing
I would think we want our nitrates sequestered so it can't build up to injurious levels and we can do smaller and/or less frequent water changes

If you like the duckweed look but don't like having botanical vomit in your tanks try some red root floaters...

Amazon frogbit is larger and easier to control, the leaves look rather like miniature water lilies. (Duckweed all around the frogbit):
img_1324257_0_67a2968caab3e081310b8c456a169e48.jpg

Roots look like this:
img_1324257_1_6a8bd42b1a5a657bb8c3d27607535bc6.jpg

is there a trick for getting duckweed out of your tank once you have it? i dont know how i got it but im constantly pulling it out of my 10 gallon

Lots of surface movement. Tons of it. Also a black out for 1-2 weeks (if you have no other plants) will take it out. Outside of surface movement and scooping there's nothing you can do other than a hard boil of everything in the tank.

Duckweed is fine

Ok thanks, yea that's what I was reading online so I think im going to stay away from it. Thanks!

Adds interest to the appearance of the tank and is easy to keep levels down. does multiply fast though. all you have to do is scoop it out. put it on the compost heap for your house or out door plants.

I love my duckweed =) And even with it my nitrate levels are somehow rediculous high! My apple snails go up to the top and eat the crap out of it! My baby guppies also like hanging out in clusters of that and hornwork.. I've never had an issue with it covering my aquarium like I've heard that it can do but I have a good amount of movement going on so that could be why.

Just be careful with duckweed...its a nitrate sponge, and once you get it, you got it. It's nearly impossible to get out

I can vouch for that! I can't even tell you where it came from but every time I take it out, more shows up within a few days! :banghead:

Back
Top Bottom