floating plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cutting down on light might be one reason. The reason I have a few plants floating is for the gouramis in my tank. They like floating plants so floating plants I give them. :D

Floating plants such as Limnobia levigatum, Riccia fluitans, and even Java Moss, are good for fry and for skittish fish: fry are safer among and below these plants, and as many other fish are picked off from above by birds, this puts them at ease.

I've kept some floating plants. If you have a decently open-topped aquarium, these plants can make the tank really beautiful! I have 10 huge tiger lotus pads (from one bulb) on the surface of my 55 right now, and they look phenomenal from the bottom and top. I think there are a couple of pictures of them in my gallery if you're interested in seeing them.

I don't use floating plants to cut down on light, but because I just like the looks of them. Some floating plants are good for fry to hang out in & some fish like shaded areas.

I use the floating plants for my gouramis. I also use floating plants for my bettas, as both species love them.

I had a problem with Duckweed and a HOB AC200... The filter's current would blow the duckweed down under where it got caught and would eventually clog the HOB's intake. Never could really figure out a way to keep it away from the flow, though some floating elodea seemed to help. On the other hand, it did fine in a tank with a Rena can filter and spraybar. But it grows so fast I eventually got rid of it as it cut down on light to the other plants. Duckweed is great for sucking up excess nitrates I have heard...

I have Duckweed and a few lily type plants in my tank, I like them because the fry like to hide in the duckweed (which seems to cling to the leaves of the other plants so I don't have too much trouble with my filter). But also because since the leaves are exposed to the surface, so when the lights are out the plants can pull in their oxygen from the air instead of the tank :D

and plants that are floating are close to the light so you get better plant growth will less lighting...

I have some floating because It always get dislodged by my fish so technically the fish one that particular game with me...

Floating plants can be real nutrient hogs! When culled out and kept in check, I have found them to be useful in the beginning stages of a planted aquarium as algae busters because of their ability to suck up excess nutrients.

Mike

Yes, and a great alternative to Duckweed is Salvinia. That plant has saved my butt on more than one occasion. I always keep some around for emergency nutrient consumption.
Water Sprite and Egeria are also very good for the same purpose.

Len

Salvina will eat up excess nutrients no doubt!

It is also considered to be a very noxious weed and extremely invasive. This plant should only be disposed of via dry garbage!

Mike

Back
Top Bottom