Floating Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Imsyu

Aquarium Advice Regular
See i have two pairs of honey gouramis in my tank and would love to provide them with some floating plants, any suggestions besides duckweed?

My honey gourami loves the frogbit in my tank. Also perhaps dwarf water lettuce?

There's dwarf water lettuce,which has very bushy, feather-like roots.
Amazon frogbit which has nice glossy leaves, and long (very very long),and stringy roots compared to the water lettuce.
And lastly, salvina. Salvina is much smaller than the previous two, but grows at a much faster rate. It closely resembles frogbit IMO, even with the roots, but scaled down.
There's more, but this is what I remember off the top of my head.

Thanks guys! ill take a look at these cause i feel like i need some floating plants!lol

decided to go with the amazon frogbits!

do i have to worry about the amazon frogbits stealing light from my dwarf baby tears that are trying to carpet? even with my two LED's skkye 10k and finnex aqua ray 2 7k x2 i believe

I wouldn't do it if I was you. I think the frogbit would take up lots of nutrients that will help the baby tears to grow faster. But that's just my 2 cents.

I wouldn't do it if I was you. I think the frogbit would take up lots of nutrients that will help the baby tears to grow faster. But that's just my 2 cents.

Just about every plant that's suitable for a floater will consume lots of ammonia and nitrates. In addition to providing cover, that's the reason many people use floaters.

To keep them from creating too much shade, I've seen tanks where someone made a loop out of an airline and contained the floating plants in that.

i like the airline idea, my baby tears were growing a tad bit slower cause i realize they were still in the pots so now they have root tabs literally next to them lol xD

Back
Top Bottom