floating plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have some amazon frogbit in my tank floating around.On the top they look cool with their circular leaves but when the roots get too big they can be annoying to the eye.Right now I only have a few but they mulitply fast.If your planning on keeping some just make sure you don't get too much as it will block out alot of light.

czcz was experimenting with some interesting floating plants and sent me some, which I managed to promptly kill :( Hopefully he will see this thread and can make some suggestions.

Most of my banana plants are floating now. They won't stay at the bottom. And the leaves are getting huge, and the banana portion are sending out many runners.

Alot of fish will eat floating plants I think,but the only case I heard of was that goldfish eat duckweed and yeah.Never seen my fish pick at my plants but maybe because they are sorta big.

I thought they would be cool, but are now a nuisance, lol. Leaves just getting so big, and float around in the current, getting caught in other plants, etc.

I really like floating plants. My favorite is Phyllanthus fluitans, aka Red root floater, because its easy to manage and is very pretty. Nice white flowers, too. Ludwigia sedoides, aka Mosaic plant, is one I love in pics, but I failed miserably when trying it (even with some ambient sunlight), and with a larger tank I plan on trying it again. Hydrocotyle sp. are great floaters you can wrap around stuff you want to hide (piping and such). You just want to avoid the duckweeds and such that will take over the tank. A covered tank to trap humidity will increase the chances of success for floating plants.

Don't be afraid to just let stems and other plants float if you're fertilizing in the water column anyway. I've had Myriophyllum sp floating in a 10gal for months. Its like a much prettier and slower growing Hornwort in there ;)

Back
Top Bottom