Floating plants question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aweav

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok this is gonna sound a little weird. I was at a LFS and saw some floating lettuce (Pistia Stratiotes) in a tank. I was thinking about getting some but then thought well I can just get it out of my neighbors pond. I know with rocks and stuff you can boil them but obviously that won't work. Is there anyway to sanitize it so i won't throw my water into chaos?

so i would just like dip them in bleach for a few seconds and then rinse and ready to go?

I think you use diluted bleach, maybe a 5% solution, although someone will probably chime in. Full strength will kill the plant!

I would not dip the roots whatever you do... you can also use potassium permagranite solution.

Well I did what you guys said, but within a day my fish ate all the roots off the plants anyway so I guess I will have to abandon this idea. Thx

What fish are you dealing with?

Could be that the roots were damaged despite the care you took and therefore became a meal, or you could just have plant eating fish.

well a handful of tetras, some barbs and a Silver dollar and A redhook met. A couple other misc fish. I watched a couple of them pick at it but not devouring them. I'm thinking the silver dollar is the culprit here.

Silver Dollars are known plant eaters and the likely culprits. Not sure if any of the others would have helped.

Back
Top Bottom