Floating Riccia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Feynman

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I just got my CO2 setup for my 10 gallon in the mail but I'm headed out of town next week and I'm having my girlfriend look after my tanks for a few weeks...

Anyway... I've never grown Riccia before so I want to be around when I plant it, add CO2, etc... so I can monitor and trouble shoot... whatever. So, can I just leave it floating? It's not on "top" of the water like a tiger lotus leaf.... but it should get enough CO2 near the surface (without CO2 injection) anyway right?

Yes it does great on the surface. That's its natural habitat. It will spread out into a big pad after a while.

Ya like savga said it grows on the surface, but if it is given LOTS of light and nutrients it will sink to the bottom and stay there where bubbles will develop in it (showing the photosynthsis taking place).

I have riccia growing on the surface of my pond in my backyard. It seems to grow pretty fast along with duckweed.

Back
Top Bottom