Flora max versus eco complete

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ebennett

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Which is better for a live planted tank FM is cheaper but looks of less quility thing then eco complete eco complete is the opposite

I have had flora max in one of my aquariums for one year now. It has done fine as far as the plants go, but I have learned that there are some issues with it concerning Cory catfish. I have a 16 gallon tank next to this one that has regular Petco aquarium gravel with two albino Corys. This tank with the flora max has six Julie Corys in it. Both sets of catfish have been in the tanks for one year. The Julie Corys' barbels have almost worn away because of the flora max. The albinos' barbels in the smooth round gravel of the 16 are still perfect. So lesson learned for me. I will be switching out the flora max for eco-complete soon. If you plan on keeping Cory catfish, IMO, I would go with the eco-complete. Hope this helps. OS.

I had to opt. for the floramax since eco complete was not available in my area. I topped it with some small smooth gravel for my corys.....

Good idea!
As far as for growing plants you should be pleased with the flora max. It will still help your root feeder plants to use root tabs even with the flora max. What color did you choose? Post a pic when you get things set up. Good luck, OS.

Floramax and Eco Complete (regular version) are exactly the same except for the liquid bacteria water that's in the EC bag. As a result, you don't have to pre-rinse EC, whereas FM you do and would have to add the Biomagnet solution, that it comes with, to help clear the cloudiness faster. The only other real difference is that EC now has a fine grade version option. But regular EC and FM are essentially the same.

Really!
From the pictures I could see online it looked like the eco-complete was rounder and smoother. Oh boy! Guess I better plan on capping my eco with gravel also. None of our stores carry it locally so pictures was all I had to go by. Glad you chimed in Brian.
Thanks, OS.

OS, you should get the fine grade EC. I think the finer grade would be a little more coarse than sand and therefore easier on the cory cats. Although, I'm just speculating since I've never had fine grade EC. I think Rivercats may have tried it though.

Rivercats mentioned that she has it one of her tanks. She said she actually likes it better. I personally like the eco better. But that is just esthetics. I couldn't get it in my area either so I just went with dirt and a play sand cap.

Okay, my curiosity is up now. LOL. I think I'll get the eco-black fine grade and give it a try. I have patience so I may just try picking out the mis-colored pieces. That should be fun! Thinking of my Cory's welfare as they are my little buddies. Thanks guys, OS.

I was going to get Eco complete fine grain (dr fosters and smith has it) but I got a petco giftcard and got the regular stuff. I have cory cats in regular floramax and they all have long, healthy barbells. They were worn down when I slacked on tank maintenance.

So did their barbells grow back? I'm sure hoping my corys do. I know mine were not from poor maintenance as I tend to my tank almost daily being retired, water changes weekly and sometimes biweekly religiously. OS.

I have the Eco black fine and love it. It's mixed with Florite black sand ( which looks gray). So I mixed to offset the gray appearance. Hope that helps. I have hara hara catfish that seem to enjoy the substrate.

So did their barbells grow back? I'm sure hoping my corys do. I know mine were not from poor maintenance as I tend to my tank almost daily being retired, water changes weekly and sometimes biweekly religiously. OS.

Yup they did! :) I didn't mean to imply you were slacking om maintenance! I know you would be the last person on here to do that. I was just saying that is the only time they had smaller barbells with floramax in the tank.... I did however add a patch of sand at one end of the tank. They enjoy rooting around through the sand. I actually have noticed longer barbells since then.

Your cories should do fine with the eco. My pandas all have long barbels and I have eco in my tank. Good luck :)

Attachments

• image-2169293453.jpg
    image-2169293453.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 68
Back
Top Bottom