FloraMax versus Eco-complete?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talvari

Aquarium Advice FINatic
For my planted tank, I am probably going to do the eco-complete... BUT... I was just curious what the main difference was between these two products?

Unless I'm mistaken, they are both by CaribSea, and there is a huge difference in price.

I use Floramax and it's such a pain rinse. If you buy it, you're gonna have to rinse it in a bucket atleast 10-15 times. (Put water in bucket with Floramax, and swish with your hand, pour out, refill, repeat.) Other than that, it's great for my plants ! They're much greener and growing alot quicker. (Had gravel substrate before) I don't know much about CaribSea, but when I was reading reviews about it, all I could find was you DID NOT need to rinse this at all. Hope I helped you out :D

I used Eco-Complete, quite easy really, mine came wet in the bag and pre-washed as well, so it wasn't a pain. Not sure if that applies to all of them though.

For my planted tank, I am probably going to do the eco-complete... BUT... I was just curious what the main difference was between these two products?

Unless I'm mistaken, they are both by CaribSea, and there is a huge difference in price.

Floramax comes dry, eco complete comes wet with bacteria in it (not nitrifying bacteria.... it's to break own food and such). The most common flormax is a bit more coarse than the most common eco complete, but they are both available in the same sizes. It's the same substrate. Flormax is quite a bit cheaper, as 20lbs of floramax is a lot more than 20lbs of eco complete (because it's dry).

i like the look of eco-complete better

btu keep in mind that eco-complete is much lighter so u'll need at least 2" to plant plants properly so they don't float away(it should be fine after they root)

flourite is much heavier so u don't need as much

not a huge diff. in price

petco sells 20lb bags online during their season sales(xmas, spooky, valentines, etc.) for $15.99 each and same for any flourite

Substrate Question

Hello Tal...

My resident substrate consultant recommends ADA Aqua-Soil. It's a soft substrate, so it can cause cloudy water if disturbed too much, but is very nutritional for plants. So, if you use it, you'd better get used to large and frequent water changes. But, you should be changing half the tank water weekly anyway, right???

My expert doesn't recommend purchasing new Eco-complete, it's cost prohibitive (not cheap). He also says to stay away from Flourite because it requires considerable rinsing and is a less than appealing color.

I'm a fan of pea gravel. It's easy to use, clean and inexpensive.

Just a couple of opinions for you to consider or not.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello Tal...

My resident substrate consultant recommends ADA Aqua-Soil. It's a soft substrate, so it can cause cloudy water if disturbed too much, but is very nitritional for plants. So, if you use it, you'd better get used to large and frequent water changes. But, you should be changing half the tank water weekly anyway, right???

My expert doesn't recommend purchasing new Eco-complete, it's cost prohibitive (not cheap). He also says to stay away from Flourite because it requires considerable rinsing and is a less than appealing color.

I'm a fan of pea gravel. It's easy to use, clean and inexpensive.

Just a couple of opinions for you to consider or not.

B

I have used everyone u have mentioned in my other tanks n flourite gave me the best results by FAR

Back
Top Bottom