Flourish Comprehensive Dosing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocncheffy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently run a 7.9 gallon planted tank with some DIY CO2 that is running great. I'm currently running into problem though.. My Anubis and Amazon Sword are getting brown spots which eventually turn into holes and the leaves will then die and I'm left with the skeleton of the leaf.

Not sure what deficiency that is but I'd like to get the correct dosage for Flourish Comprehensive and Flourish Iron. Would 1/32 tsb every two days be enough to resolve this issue?

Any help is appreciated!

Hi. Have you been using the Flourish Comprehensive and Flourish iron or just starting out with fertilizers?

If you are starting out from scratch just use the label amounts (which I haven't calculated for your size tank -- I'll leave that math to you). And see how your plants respond.

Have you seen this chart? 65a7e663.jpg Photo by lauraleellbp | Photobucket

There are some gurus here that will probably jump in and help out, but in the meantime I wanted you to have some response.

Last edited:
PS. What substrate do you have, how old is it, and are you using root tabs?

I've been using both Flourish Comprehensive and Flourish Iron for the past two weeks now. My substrate is very new, running with some Flourite black substrate as i've heard it's great for plant growth.

I've looked at the chart and it looks like some phosphate deficiencies.. Will Flourish Comprehensive cover that enough to make a difference?

The comprehensive may be enough. I'd be inclined to try root tabs if that doesn't do it. Two weeks is still pretty new. If the plants are new they may just still be adapting to life in your tank.

The comprehensive may be enough. I'd be inclined to try root tabs if that doesn't do it. Two weeks is still pretty new. If the plants are new they may just still be adapting to life in your tank.

Yeah I'm getting constant growth everyday from my Anubis and Amazon Sword that has almost new stems every third day! Not too worried.. I might just cut off the dying stems today. I've also switched the lighting to a 4 hours on, 4 off, then 5 on again to fight the algae as I've heard interrupting the light really deters algae growth.

Sounds good. I've heard that about the lights and algae, too, though I've never tried it.

Its a potassium deficiency for sure.

If your using seachem liquid ferts then buy yourself a bottle of seachem potassium and dose alongside your comprehensive

Yeah I'm getting constant growth everyday from my Anubis and Amazon Sword that has almost new stems every third day! Not too worried.. I might just cut off the dying stems today. I've also switched the lighting to a 4 hours on, 4 off, then 5 on again to fight the algae as I've heard interrupting the light really deters algae growth.

13 hours total light is too much in my opinion. I would cut out the last 'on for 5 hours' bit.

I would be inclined to go 8 hour split photoperiod. (4 on, gap, 4 on)

13 hours total light is too much in my opinion. I would cut out the last 'on for 5 hours' bit.

I would be inclined to go 8 hour split photoperiod. (4 on, gap, 4 on)

I think you might have misread my post about lighting. I go for 4 hours on, then 4 hours OFF, then 5 hours on again. Yeah 13 hours would be crazy haha.

I just ordered a bottle of Seachem Potassium, so hopefully that resolves my issue. An online fertilizer calculator said I need to use 4ml of potassium 2-4 times a week. Does this sound right to you?

I just ordered a bottle of Seachem Potassium, so hopefully that resolves my issue. An online fertilizer calculator said I need to use 4ml of potassium 2-4 times a week. Does this sound right to you?

Sounds like a bit much for your tiny tank.

Here are Seachem's instructions:

Use 1 capful (5 mL) for every 125 L (30 gallons*). This dose raises potassium by 2 mg/L. Repeat 2–3 times per week or as needed (in response to signs of potassium deficiency in older leaves which includes: chlorosis (yellowing), necrosis (death/browning), and weak stems and roots.

Last edited:

I wouldnt go by seachems guidelines. The seachem liquid ferts are very weak.

Just start off slow and increase dosing slowly until you see results

Back
Top Bottom