Flourish Excel Help..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocncheffy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Alright so I have a 7.9 gallon tank with some java fern, dwarf hair grass, and baby tears. Everything seems to be growing pretty decently except for the baby tears.. I think it's due to not having any CO2 injection in my tank, so I resorted to Flourish Excel.
I'm just having some trouble with the dosage amounts, as with a 50% water change, I did a full cap, but now I don't know what to do every day or every other day. Any suggestions on what the correct dosage should be for a 7.9 gallon tank?

Thanks!

Tank pic:

Aquarium - Imgur

1ml. per 3-5 gals. is a staring point. you can up the dosage to 1ml per gal over time. Baby Tears require pretty high light. What light fixture are you using? How many watt is it?

Are you having any algae problems leaving lights on that many hours?

What are you using for ferts? I found adding root tabs close to the HC helped but they still need to have a good dosing regime with macro and micro nutrients. Foster53 is on target for dosing Excel.

Are you having any algae problems leaving lights on that many hours?

What are you using for ferts? I found adding root tabs close to the HC helped but they still need to have a good dosing regime with macro and micro nutrients. Foster53 is on target for dosing Excel.

I'm not using anything else other than Excel. Also, no my 3 Ottos and snails seem to manage the algae. I do have a case of the black beard algae but it seems to be going away with the use of excel.

I'm not using anything else other than Excel. Also, no my 3 Ottos and snails seem to manage the algae. I do have a case of the black beard algae but it seems to be going away with the use of excel.

Honestly your running your lights way too long which is part of the reason your getting algae. I run my high light tank lights 6 hours. I'd go down to 8 hours on your tank, 10 max and see if the algae goes away for good.

You need to look into dosing some good ferts since higher light and liquid carbon or CO2 use causes plants to photosynthesize faster the plants need more ferts to grow.

Honestly your running your lights way too long which is part of the reason your getting algae. I run my high light tank lights 6 hours. I'd go down to 8 hours on your tank, 10 max and see if the algae goes away for good.

You need to look into dosing some good ferts since higher light and liquid carbon or CO2 use causes plants to photosynthesize faster the plants need more ferts to grow.

What fert do you recommend I buy for my plants to go with excel?

Thanks for your suggestions by the way!

If you only have this one small tank you will almost need to use liquid ferts but if you have more tanks you dose dry ferts are the best as they give you all the macro and micro nutrients your plants need.

For liquid ferts I'd get Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive and dose 1 or 2x weekly along with API Leaf Zone which will supply iron and potassium. The combination is pretty good but do keep your eye on your nitrate and phosphate levels to be sure you have enough of both. The get some root tabs for using in the substrate around the HC.

If you only have this one small tank you will almost need to use liquid ferts but if you have more tanks you dose dry ferts are the best as they give you all the macro and micro nutrients your plants need.

For liquid ferts I'd get Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive and dose 1 or 2x weekly along with API Leaf Zone which will supply iron and potassium. The combination is pretty good but do keep your eye on your nitrate and phosphate levels to be sure you have enough of both. The get some root tabs for using in the substrate around the HC.

Quick question about the dry ferts...sry dont wanna take the mic... are the roottabs the dry ferts ur talking about?

Can I use a small (1/2, every second day) dose of Excel with Vallisneria?
It won't melt?

Back
Top Bottom