Flourish Excel Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdwhite807

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys, Im looking for some help. I grabbed a bottle of Flourish Excel the other day hoping that it would help my live plants take off, but I am chicken to use it. Im not sure if it is because I am unfamiliar with the product and not exactly sure how to use it and exactly what affects it will have on my water quality, as well as fish. I have read that in some cases it will cloud the water really bad. Any one used the product and is willing to give some feedback?

I will be using it in a 40 gal tank, T5 dual lighting ( 6,700k bulb, and a colormax bulb), flora max substrate capped with gravel and a penguin 300 biowheel for filtration. Any advice on the lighting would also be a help. Just want to grow some low-Med light plants, nothing very technical nor require for me to have CO2. Thanks for the help guys.

Honestly, you can't get a much safer product than excel. I dose 10x the recommended dosage daily with absolutely no issues. It's plant (99% of them), fish, and invert safe. It's just a complex form of carbon that can be used in lieu of co2.

Thanks for the reply and ease of mind. I do have another question the directions on the back of the bottle say to dose with a water change, I assume since you are adding everyday that this does not really make a difference?

Iv used excel in my tank now for 2 years, twice the dose, once a week, and iv never had an issue. I do WC every 2 weeks and besides my pleco up rooting half my plants and a few them dying from constantly being replanted they'v done great, and Iv never used co2.

Don't bother adding an increased dose after a water change. It's just seachems way of convincing people to waste some of the product so people have to buy it more often. It only remains in the tank for about 12 hours before breaking down.

Iv used excel in my tank now for 2 years, twice the dose, once a week, and iv never had an issue. I do WC every 2 weeks and besides my pleco up rooting half my plants and a few them dying from constantly being replanted they'v done great, and Iv never used co2.

Dosing once a week will only benefit the plants for one day out of the 7. Light breaks down the excel so it only works as Mebbid says for about 12hours. Its a daily dose product

When i used Excel it melted away my cardinal lobelia and damaged my anubias. My java fern took off though and so did my hygro compacta, but eventually the roots did melt also

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cardinals don't adapt well to underwater use. Although it can have an impact on anacharis although I've never had problems and mine is currently a bit over a foot long.

Hi JD.
I dose x2 every morning and my plants are doing great. No probs with fish, shrimps or water clarity. I have crypts (red and green), Java fern, dwarf swords, Java moss and jungle vals. All fairly easy plants I know but the only plant affected by Excel was the vals. It melted off a little initially but, after a good trim back, has grown back with vigour.

Thanks for the help guys. I have been dosing for 3 days now and the only real difference I can see right now is with my moss. It has turned a very nice green. So far I am pleased with the product, I haven't seen any problems with my fish yet.

Back
Top Bottom