Flourish Excel, low light, and java moss....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just ordered a small bottle of Flourish Excel and was wondering if you think it might help my java moss in a very low light tank with the original lighting? I was planning on trying it out just to see if it might help some, as it's growing, but extremely slow, and at times, looks like it's not growing at all, then it grows a little, then stops again. Later I will get a better lighting system, but am putting all my funds towards getting my planted 75G tank all together. Just ordered half of the Eco Complete I need, and will order the other half next week. Also looking at getting the tank and stand this week. Already have the lighting system, and the CO2 system is on the way. But about the small tank, do you think the Excel will help any?

I also got a small bottle of the Flourite Iron as well. Would it hurt to add some of that too? I just got the small bottles to keep the cost to a minimum, just in case it doesn't help any. If it does help substantially, then I'll get bigger bottles to last longer.

When I had Java Moss it grew very very very slowly.I had a tank with 1.75 watts of cp lights and dosed some flourish and it still grew very slowly.I just got a small portion and I hopep it would grow fast but it just won't.I even have CO2 on it doesn't seem to grow any faster.Maybe java moss is just a slow grower.

It is a slow grower, but didn't think it would be this slow. Started with a small batch spread out on my driftwood, then became too thick, I tore a lot out to thin it out, and left what was attached to the driftwood. A year later, and the driftwood is only about half covered with java moss strands that float out about 3/4 inch to an inch long. I would have thought that in a year, the driftwood would be nearly covered, and fairly thick.

I haven't noticed any difference in my javamoss since using excel flourish, ive been dosing it for about 3 weeks in my 44 gallon. But now that you think of it, i got the javamoss from JChillin about 3 months ago, and its only gotten thicker, it has't really grown all that much. It kinda dies at the same time that it grows, wich isn't bad, because i like how it looks now!

is excel flourish a complete fertilizer? Maybe see what it contains and find out what it lacks. Iron maybe? phosphate?

Thats all i can think of.

Flourish Excel only provides a Carbon Source (alternative/supliment to CO2), so you would still need to does with other ferts for Macros and Traces.

Interesting. I have a low-light tank and I was able to toss (ermm...give away) a ton of this stuff as it was growing like mad...all over everything all of the time.

Maybe I just too low of light, lol. Thinking of upgrading from this 18W fixture to a 30w fixture, or a 55w.

Back
Top Bottom