Flourish excel vs API CO2 Booster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KTpoopenstein

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is there any significant difference between the liquid CO2 supplements? Is there a legitimate reason to spend more on the flourish excel?

I've heard flourish excel also controls and kills certain types of algae like black beard algae.. but I think that's because it has a type of Formaldahyde in it (not formaldehyde exactly but some form of it) which is what the liquid carbon is.. API co2 boost is the same thing though.. But I think the API has from what I heard only 1.5% of it, and the excel is like 2.0%

Is there any significant difference between the liquid CO2 supplements? Is there a legitimate reason to spend more on the flourish excel?

If I were you, I would buy the metricide 14 day solution on amazon. It's about 27$ shipped. Throw out the activator bottle and mix 1:1 with RO or distilled water. It's so much cheaper than buying excel. Start buy dosing 1ml per 10g. I'm just saying what I've seen rivercats say. Haha.

Metricide is cheapest route volume wise but if you want excel I know a site where its cheap.

I don't really have room to store a large quantity of anything so I was looking at the 500ml bottle of excel or 16oz of api. I have a 15g low light tank so 500ml will last me like a year.

You can buy Metricide 14 Day Solution in Quart containers as well as gallons. I use old Excel bottles to mix up and store what I need at a 1:1 ratio of Glut to RO or Distilled water. Excel has a 1.5% concentration of glutaraldehyde and Metricide 14 has a 1.8% after mixed with RO water. So they are very close. A quart bottle on amazon is $9.40 plus shipping. A 500ml bottle of Excel is 10.66 plus shipping. The API CO2 Booster 16 ounce is $8.29 plus shipping. SO you buy 1 qt. of Metricide and get 2 qts. for $9.40 plus shipping... the bottle isn't that big and look how much you save. Just want you to have the full picture since they are all basically the same thing and do the same thing.

PetMountain.com it's best if you're buying a lot of stuff, that way you can get free shipping. Anyways I just checked the site and they have Excel 6.73 for 500ml and 2 liter bottle for 27.89.

Great site IMO.

A 2 liter bottle of excel for $27.89 or a 1 quart (approx. 1 liter) of Metricide which makes 2 quarts (approx. 2 liters) for $9.40 plus $4.49 shipping is $13.89 total which is $14 cheaper, half the price of the Excel for the same amount. When you buy the gallon of Metricide 14 the savings are way bigger.

A 2 liter bottle of excel for $27.89 or a 1 quart (approx. 1 liter) of Metricide which makes 2 quarts (approx. 2 liters) for $9.40 plus shipping plus $4.49 shipping is $13.89 total which is $14 cheaper, half the price of the Excel for the same amount. When you buy the gallon of Metricide 14 the savings are way bigger.

Well I guess that settles that lol

Just pointing out the cheapest I ever found Excel, bought about 3 bottles a while back when I bought my Eco so it was worth it to me at the time.

I'm all for being economical! That's why I try to explain that dry ferts end up being so much cheaper to use in the long run over liquid ferts unless you have a really small tank.

Back
Top Bottom