Flourish vs Flourish excel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

countryfan05

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 26 gallon that I have planted. I tested my iron and the chart doesn't even turn colors (purple like it says) it stays white so I bought Flourish iron and potassium. I have flourish as well but should I be using Flourish or Flourish excel? I was getting plants that turn yellow at the bottom and die. I also use flourish tabs.

Thanks.

What are the details of your lighting setup? What kind of plants are you keeping, and which ones are having trouble?

Flourish and Flourish Excel are not the same thing at all. Flourish is a trace mineral supplement while Flourish Excel only provides a source of carbon for plants.

Hello fellow marylander!

To add to the list of questions from ringfinger, what chemicals, and how often are they put in the tank? I assume the tabs are already in there, which is good because they provide all around nutrients including iron. I have heard that a lot of iron tests are not accurate, or are measuring such a small amount of iron it is hard to tell if you are getting a reading anyway.

A lot of times, the leaves on the bottom get shaded by the upper growth and therefore die off. My wisteria does this as the tops get so big and bushy, the lower growth gets brown edges then gets plucked before dying.

Fe tests are VERY unreliable. Wouldn't even worry about it for now..............
Flourish is an all in one (though mostly trace)
Excel is a source of carbon for plants to use (Co3).
If you are dosing Flourish K then you'll also want N and P

I have a 26 gallon bow front, with a 55 watt compact light. I was planted with amazon swords and Anacharis. Both turn yellow at the base and die.

My rotella does great and grows well. Now I have rotella, mexican oak, swords, corkscrew val, blyxa, Alternanthera, banana plant, dwarf lillies, madagascar lace, etc.

I use flourish tabs and I bought flourish, flourish iron and flourish potassium but I don't know what to us to keep them healthy.

My guess will be lack of potassium.. Just add 1 capful once every 2-3 days and observe for a week. Your plants should be better. Slight increase of P doesn't harm yr fish or plants. =)

I agree with AshleyXavier about dosing Potassium (which is K not P) and seeing how it goes for a week. Nice looking tank, but the pic is way too small to identify much of anything in there.

Back
Top Bottom