Flourish vs ph...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hcourts

Aquarium Advice FINatic
As anyone ever heard of flourish affecting the ph?? I have been dosing daily and I have noticed a drop in my ph?? Backed off for a few days and it is returning to normal. Has anyone ever heard of this??

No. I have not heard of it. How much are you dosing to what volume of water? What were you measuring ph with?

I was checking with the strips. It has been pretty consistent around 7.5 and the tank has been running alittle over a month cycled from media from one of my other established tanks. 55g moderately planted. Not dosing co2 just the 5ml dose of flourish daily. This is when I started noticing the drop. Almost to 6.5. My fish started looking alittle sluggish and that was the only I was doing differently. So I backed off dosing everyday and did a couple of water changes and things are back to normal and my fish are acting back to normal. Idk:/

Don't think you should blame the flourish. I doubt it can lower pH very much. If anything it'd be only slightly acidic or neutral.

Even if out has a non-neutral pH, the buffering capacity of the water (your carbonate content/KH) would largely eliminate any impact.

It's excel. And I thought the same thing but I haven't done anything differently but started adding that?? I am going to start dosing again but only have the recommended and see what happens. I would like to add another black rock. Do they do anything to water chemistry?? I already have one with two pieces of driftwood

Excel shouldn't change PH. I would also like to point out that Excel is a carbon source and will not provide micros/macros to your tank. As for the rocks it really depends on what type it is. Is it like slate? or Volcanic? Most of the time rocks will raise your pH and KH

Yeah I use root tabs too:) its a black slate rock. I already have one in there. It was just odd that my ph went haywire like that. Thanks for everyone's help:)

Back
Top Bottom