Flourite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coleallensmom

Planted Tank Enthusiast
Do I need it? I'm gearing up to switch my 37 gallon over the a completely planted tank and currently have pea gravel as my only substrate. Also, do I need root tabs..or will Flourish be enough? My plants list so far-

java fern
Chain sword
Val Asiatica
Bacopa Australis
amazon sword
Crypt Retropiralis
Crypt Crispatula

I'm using it but I dont' know a lot about FW planted and was told after the fact that I could have used a few other options. I was able to get Flourite at a great price so I don't feel too bad about getting and using it. So far my plants are doing very well.

Preferably it would be best to switch out your pea gravel for some flourite, or just mix it in. This will ensure optimal plant growth, depending on the type of fertilization plan you choose to go with.

You can get by without using flourite, but then you should supplement with some root tabs. If you can afford it now, go ahead and do it. You could always just mix in a bag with your pea gravel.

Thanks, maybe someone else will chime in. :)

I think I can get it for about $17 for the 15lb bag but don't want the added expense if I don't really need it. I've read that Crypts are heavy root feeders, but I didn't know if they do fine with root tabs or if they could possibly even intake enough nutrients through their leaves from the Flourish in the water column. I have the Flourish on hand and ready but would need to go pick up the Flourite and/or fert tabs.

Preferably it would be best to switch out your pea gravel for some flourite, or just mix it in. This will ensure optimal plant growth, depending on the type of fertilization plan you choose to go with.

You can get by without using flourite, but then you should supplement with some root tabs. If you can afford it now, go ahead and do it. You could always just mix in a bag with your pea gravel.

I was typing while you were! ;) So basically, I need to do one or the other...fert tabs OR the Flourite?

I was thinking if everyone recommends the Flourite that I'd just mix it in with my existing gravel.

I believe Flourite is a substrate that promotes good ion exchange, meaning it absorbs fertilizers from the water column and makes them available to the roots. The root tabs might be redundant, but they'll only help. Just make sure to bury them well.

Swords are heavy root feeders. I'm not sure about crypts. I've got Crypt Lutea and Crypt Parva in a 20H in PFS with no root tabs and they're growing nicely. The Lutea has put out maybe ten new leaves in the couple weeks that it's been in the tank. I've got ~30W of T5 (not T5HO) light and I dose Flourish every PWC.

I've heard nothing bad about Flourite. It's just too expensive for my tastes. When funds permit (after Christmas), I'm going to pick up some dry ferts and start dosing my tank. I have Black Blast, a $9 for 50lb blasting compound, in my 40B. The MSDS shows it has a similar makeup to the house substrate from aquarimplants.com. I want to see if it will absorb nutrients and promote growth like the Fluorite.

I believe Flourite is a substrate that promotes good ion exchange, meaning it absorbs fertilizers from the water column and makes them available to the roots. The root tabs might be redundant, but they'll only help. Just make sure to bury them well.

Swords are heavy root feeders. I'm not sure about crypts. I've got Crypt Lutea and Crypt Parva in a 20H in PFS with no root tabs and they're growing nicely. The Lutea has put out maybe ten new leaves in the couple weeks that it's been in the tank. I've got ~30W of T5 (not T5HO) light and I dose Flourish every PWC.

I've heard nothing bad about Flourite. It's just too expensive for my tastes. When funds permit (after Christmas), I'm going to pick up some dry ferts and start dosing my tank. I have Black Blast, a $9 for 50lb blasting compound, in my 40B. The MSDS shows it has a similar makeup to the house substrate from aquarimplants.com. I want to see if it will absorb nutrients and promote growth like the Fluorite.

That's great information Jim. I learned a good bit from your post and Im glad I got flourite when I set up my corner tank. Makes me think about what to start dosing my system with though.

If it was me personally, I would save the money and use it to by some dry ferts and root tabs. Not all planted tanks will have heavy root feeders like swords. I find the occasional(every 2-3 months) root tab under my swords does plenty for them.

Most higher light tanks will want more stems than root feeders to help combat the algae anyways.

Thanks for all of the the opinions! I'm still undecided as to what to do, but I think I'll make a trip to my LFS tonight to poke around a bit- see if I can't make up my mind!

I guess I need to start a build thread :)

i think the plants have an easier time rooting in the finer substrates but they will do ok in the pea gravel with root tabs. the dry ferts would probably be a better use for the money as meegosh suggested.

So dose with Flourish with my weekly PWC and then add dry ferts every couple of months and I should be fine?

Back
Top Bottom