flourite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pwc is the way to go, just refil the water slowly not to agitate it all again. Running the filter won't harm anything but may cause your filter pad to look prematurely gross haha. I just put fluorite in my 20 long and don't cloud at all, but I also put the fluorite in before I put water in the tank and I think that helped out a ton. I have crystal clear water since the first gallon was added

Zimmanski said:
Pwc is the way to go, just refil the water slowly not to agitate it all again. Running the filter won't harm anything but may cause your filter pad to look prematurely gross haha. I just put fluorite in my 20 long and don't cloud at all, but I also put the fluorite in before I put water in the tank and I think that helped out a ton. I have crystal clear water since the first gallon was added

Luck you lol ive done couple i think a couple more will do it its kindve hard to not stir it up a bit in a 5g lol

When you're rinsing it you also have to be careful, most people put it in water and swish it around a whole lot with their hands, over and over and over again, but you also have to think about how much are you agitating this clay because the reason it's dusty is it rubs against itself and breaks apart and you'd only be repeating this cycle. I use an fish net with smaller holes, fill it with substrate then run water over it, water runs clear then put it in. I've never had cloudy water after using this technique

Zimmanski said:
When you're rinsing it you also have to be careful, most people put it in water and swish it around a whole lot with their hands, over and over and over again, but you also have to think about how much are you agitating this clay because the reason it's dusty is it rubs against itself and breaks apart and you'd only be repeating this cycle. I use an fish net with smaller holes, fill it with substrate then run water over it, water runs clear then put it in. I've never had cloudy water after using this technique

Interesting i did the hand method "do oh" i thought about using the rice strainer but decided not too

Added two pieces of driftwood and some plants what do you guys think still a little cloudy

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121020_181022.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121020_181022.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 54
  • ForumRunner_20121020_181057.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121020_181057.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 54
vance1013 said:
Added two pieces of driftwood and some plants what do you guys think still a little cloudy

I like it! You should get some anubias or narrow leaf java fern for the DW. What are the plants you have now?

With the kitchen lights off

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121020_185919.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121020_185919.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 91
  • ForumRunner_20121020_190008.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121020_190008.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 63
vance1013 said:
The standard 15 watt tube bulb on a 5g hood may buy a different bulb if needed or ugrade and go hoodless down the road

For smaller tanks everyone says the CFL fixtures do best, when I had my 10g I had just a plant growth t8 and everything did great. IMO you shouldn't go hood less, the aqueon versa glass tops are really pretty nice, they're cheap, and will greatly reduce evaporation. I have glass tops on both my tanks, 55 and 20 long.

vance1013 said:
Thank you for the tip off for the hood lol do the cfls screw in?

If I understood correctly what the cfl bulbs are, they're the screw in type spiral or circular fluorescent tube bulbs, I guess because they have a high wattage but low energy consumption.

Zimmanski said:
If I understood correctly what the cfl bulbs are, they're the screw in type spiral or circular fluorescent tube bulbs, I guess because they have a high wattage but low energy consumption.

Ok thats what i was wondering i dont think the spiral one will fit but im sure the other will though

Back
Top Bottom