flourite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vance1013

Aquarium Advice Addict
I plan using flourite to set up my 5g tank do i need yo rinse it first? And any other advice would be great

vance1013 said:
Ok thank you any other advise on this substrate

Ummmm nope!

Water changes until the water clears up. Other than that. Plant your plants and they will love it! A great plant dedicated substrate. Good luck!

Predfan27 said:
Ummmm nope!

Water changes until the water clears up. Other than that. Plant your plants and they will love it! A great plant dedicated substrate. Good luck!

Ok lol thank you

On another thread I read you still need to dose the aquarium with a fertilizer. The substrate doesn't give that evidently.

vance1013 said:
Ok thank you ill look into that

You're welcome :) the only reason I know that (well, took someone else's expertise) is because I'm using it as a cap in dirt tank

Ljk09 said:
You're welcome :) the only reason I know that (well, took someone else's expertise) is because I'm using it as a cap in dirt tank

Ah ok makes sense lol ive read it has a high cec which helps absorb nutrients from the waste

greetings.

just last week i switched to a plant substrate too, but mine was a clay/spagnum mix that had to be placed below the normal gravel, the gravel acting as a barrier. i had no cloudiness at all so i would recommend you do the same, but it seems flourite is a clay/1-2mm pebble mix, seems odd to me to not let the customer decide how to mix it or use it imo.

sincerely,
nereksnad.

nereksnad said:
greetings.

just last week i switched to a plant substrate too, but mine was a clay/spagnum mix that had to be placed below the normal gravel, the gravel acting as a barrier. i had no cloudiness at all so i would recommend you do the same, but it seems flourite is a clay/1-2mm pebble mix, seems odd to me to not let the customer decide how to mix it or use it imo.
sincerely,
nereksnad.

Ill keep that in mind thank you and it can be odd how things are done

I would wait a while to dose ferts. I started dosing 2-3 weeks into a new tank with fluorite substrate and it caused my diatom bloom that was previously dormant to explode. There will plenty of nutrients in the water column without ferts for the first 4-6 weeks. After that a dosing regiment could defiantly improve growth.

AquaticMike said:
I would wait a while to dose ferts. I started dosing 2-3 weeks into a new tank with fluorite substrate and it caused my diatom bloom that was previously dormant to explode. There will plenty of nutrients in the water column without ferts for the first 4-6 weeks. After that a dosing regiment could defiantly improve growth.

Thats good to know thank you

So i added the flourite even after rinsing rinsing and more rinsing i think i missed a couple pockets lol should i just let it sit and settle before adding the filter or can i run my bubbler over night would the help clear it up

ForumRunner_20121016_220841.jpg

ForumRunner_20121016_220913.jpg

vance1013 said:
So i added the flourite even after rinsing rinsing and more rinsing i think i missed a couple pockets lol should i just let it sit and settle before adding the filter or can i run my bubbler over night would the help clear it up

IMO (I'm not an expert) I think it would be ok to run your filter.

The amount of ferts available in the water column is highly dependent on your water source and plant density/lighting scheme.

I'd do some big water changes to clear the water up. You could run the filter as well to help, but you'll need to rinse it out periodically.

jetajockey said:
The amount of ferts available in the water column is highly dependent on your water source and plant density/lighting scheme.

I'd do some big water changes to clear the water up. You could run the filter as well to help, but you'll need to rinse it out periodically.

Thank you jeta ill keep up on that

Back
Top Bottom