Flourite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

workfortheman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm wondering if the flourite "cloud" is safe for fish? ANyone have experience with this? I'm asking in conjunction with my earlier post "tank switcharoo" in this forum.

it's not bad for fish. it's just really ugly for humans :) i used flourite in a previous tank, but found that, no matter how much i had rinsed it before adding it to the tank, it ALWAYS made my water cloudy for about an hour or more after a water change. it took months for it to stop being cloudy, and that was after vigorous gravel vacs to remove as much of the fine dust as i could. i found eco-complete much less dusty. in a different tank, i mixed the 2 (eco-complete and fourite) and it cut down a lot on the dust. in my current tank, i have a base of eco-complete covered with pea-sized gravel, which is quite pretty, imho.

thanks, I should cover the flourite with a layer of gravel then, no problem. Good to hear that it's not harmful to my precious little rams. . .

I agree - the cloud will not bother the fish at all. I use fluorite a lot and after the initial clouding I have never had problems with it clouding after that. I used in my little nano planted bowl and rinsed it well, and after the intial cloudiness it cleared and stayed clear, even though I have moved the plants around a lot.

Back
Top Bottom