Flourite and PFS Substrate - Good/Bad/Completely Nuts??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrBones

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi Everybody, I am currently in the process of setting up my 46g Planted Fish Aquarium and I was thinking of putting either straight Flourite Black sand as a substrate or pfs, which is normally white. But, since Flourite is $30 a 15lb bag from my lfs and I will need 3-4 bags and pfs is $11 for a 50lb bag, I was wondering if I could mix the two together? Would this look really crappy and/or it wouldn't be beneficial enough?

I could make little islands of Flourite and just plant plants there if you think this would be the proper and most beneficial way to go.

Thx in advance for all your advice and comments,
Steve :thanks:

Actually if you could keep the islands separate I think that would look amazing. You could do little pebbles as borders for each island.

I wouldn't mix them because I don't think it would turn out well, but I just don't like that look.

You could also layer them, do flourite on top (so that would be the least you need) and pfs on the bottom

Yeah I've seen tanks with the little islands and they do look amazing. I thought about layering it like you suggested but out of the two I like this islands better. I did think mixing them would look, well, crappy.

thx! Islands it will be then.

Back
Top Bottom