Fluorite Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gamma_draconis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am just starting out with a 29 gal setup and although I have no immediate plans to plant anything I opted to get Fluorite from my LFS instead of plain gravel when I got the setup package for my tank. I figured that at some point down the line I will want to go planted and it would be better to already have a nutrient-rich substrate rather than trying to change it out.

However, I've heard that Fluorite is quite cloudy as substrates go. I know that it will definitely be cloudy when I first put it in (no matter how many rinses I do), but I was wondering if it re-clouds after PWCs? Will this be an ongoing problem or is really only when you first set up the tank? Is the cloudiness worth the added benefits for growing plants?

It will make dust clouds when you disturb it. eventually that will stop happening. The little clouds will clear quickly.

As Rich mentioned it's going to be the worst when you first put it in the tank. Definately rinse it as good as you can or it can take quite awhile to clear up. Each time that you disturb it from planting etc it will take a bit less time to clear, until eventually it will cloud very little and clear almost immediately.

Back
Top Bottom