Fluval 20g mini CO2 system questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reykur

Aquarium Advice Regular
So this system seems like a pretty primitive design.
I'm thinking I might be able to improve it though, by adding a drop checker, CO2 grade tubing, and a micro diffuser (glass). If I'm not mistaken, this will allow me to set the system for 1 dps or less based on opening the regulator valve slightly, and basically just making sure the tanks not empty (which are about $1 ea. and seem to average 2 to 4 weeks for people). I have a 5 gallon tank, 2 wpg 5400k 8hr cycle, java fern and moss and some microswords. Probably going to get either RRF or amazon frogbit as well.
So my question is, what has been your experience with this system? Did you have a 5 gallon? Were you able to regulate your dps very low? How did you diffuse it?
I know the big argument is that the tanks add up cost, but I live in a rural area and would have to drive an hour and a half to refill larger canisters, so I'm ordering them one way or the other. This just seems like a good, cost friendly way to get into pressurized CO2 (since diy seems daunting, stinky or overly complicated to properly regulate depending on which type you try)
I really like the prospect of getting CO2 into my tank, but I don't know what is going to be easiest and most cost effective, despite my research.
It seems like the yeast method lasts longer than citric acid, but has lower pressure and makes a nastier mess. The citric acid method requires more setup and doesn't last as long? Or just go pressurized.

Back
Top Bottom