Fluval 26gal bow tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgetown

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

I wanted to share my experience with the Fluval 26gal bow tank, as there was not a lot on information on forms with this tank and plants.

This is a high tank, 21" so a powerful light was needed. Distance from top of substitute to light is 19". I tried the led light that came with the tank, says it is good for a planted tank. First two weeks I had no luck with the light and upgraded my light. Original light would only be good for LOW light plants, hard for the light to penetrate to the bottom of the tank.

After a little over 1.5 months, my tank is looking great and happy with the setup.:dance:

My Tank

Satellite Pro 24" to 36". Currently have it set at 95%
Fluval water conditioner
Fluval bio support(used with water changes)
Flourite Black gravel, two bags
Flourish root tabs, 5 used
Flourish iron, 1/2 cap every Wednesday
Flourish 1/2 cap every Saturday
Flourish excel, 1/2 cap every day. I use a spray bottle for this, two squirts equals 1/2 cap and much easier to use on jet mode.

I do a 25% to 30% water change every weekend. Only lost one Cory cat due to a ick breakout when I got my neon's.

Fish

3 pepper Cory cats
3 otto cats
6 neon tetras
3 green danios
3 yellow danios
3 pink danios
3 red shrimp
6 orange shrimp

My Plants

Alternanthera Reineckii
Amazon swords
Fontinalis antipyretica(willow moss)
Lilaeopsis novae-zelandie( New Zealand grass)
Java fern
Nymphaea lotus(Tiger Lotus) iron made it go true red
Striped Dragonplant
Crimson Ivy

I welcome any comments or questions. This site has helped my with some of my decisions and wanted to share my experience. I really like the Fluval products, it is a great tank and awesome filter, but the led light that came with it was disappointing. It is a better light then most package aquariums, but don't expect great looking plants.

Attachments

• IMG_3616.jpg
    IMG_3616.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3617.jpg
    IMG_3617.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3618.jpg
    IMG_3618.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 62
I just started using liquid co2 and was wondering if you think it had a big impact on growth. Trying to see if it's worth it, seeing as I don't have pressurized co2.

I noticed a difference when I had a tank a few years ago with just amazon swords. They went crazy with the addition, and a good side effect was they cut down on algae growth on plants. If you start using it, should see a difference within two weeks. I did it every other day at first and had great results as well.

From my own personal expirence, I would use low liquid co2 if I don't have too many plants, slowly increase if you have lots of plants. A little fertilizer also helps, I don't dose a lot as it does add up on cost. The iron I only use now because I want some red plants, if you don't have any red plants then don't use it.

When I did my research, I found pressure co2 was only worth it if you have 50gal and up, anything smaller liquid is easier and cheaper. I just picked up a 2 litre jug of excel at big als, had a $10 off coupon which made it a great price and will last a long time. Put it in the fridge and will add to my spray bottle in small amounts to use.

I noticed a difference when I had a tank a few years ago with just amazon swords. They went crazy with the addition, and a good side effect was they cut down on algae growth on plants. If you start using it, should see a difference within two weeks. I did it every other day at first and had great results as well.

From my own personal expirence, I would use low liquid co2 if I don't have too many plants, slowly increase if you have lots of plants. A little fertilizer also helps, I don't dose a lot as it does add up on cost. The iron I only use now because I want some red plants, if you don't have any red plants then don't use it.

When I did my research, I found pressure co2 was only worth it if you have 50gal and up, anything smaller liquid is easier and cheaper. I just picked up a 2 litre jug of excel at big als, had a $10 off coupon which made it a great price and will last a long time. Put it in the fridge and will add to my spray bottle in small amounts to use.

Sounds like it worked great for you, I'm hoping it'll work as good for me. I am dosing ferts and will probably up the dosage. Awesome tank btw

Back
Top Bottom