Fluval 406 upgrade recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rcguerra

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am currently dealing with my first large tank (well, coming from nano cubes with a single betta in each, 60gallons is pretty big at this point) and I am quite happy with my setup:

Marineland 60 Gallon tall tank (from Petsmart, got it with a stand for under $220)

Organic dirt under gravel

Ecoxotic e-series LED 48" + Finnex Planted + 48" (they run for 6 hours a day, together at 100% only for 3 hours)

2 250W heaters (I live in Boston, inside the house during winter while nobody is home can go as low as mid 50s)

Fluval 406 canister filter.

Here is the reason for this thread:

Besides adding two bags of Purigen into the filter, I really would love a dummy proof, "here you go, retarded" list of upgrades to the filter.
- hoses (ID, OD, type, brand, everything you can possibly think to avoid margin for mistakes. I have a metric brain, the idea of fractions, convertions, adapters and matching A to B to C makes me feel retarded. Maybe I am.

-Glass endings. There are several lily pipes options in the market (both for intake and output), but I have no clue what size or what type would be a good fit for a planted tank with discus.

-anything else. Using a nice bio-media? Please share! This is my first large tank, and I am planning on 40%PWC every saturday unril I have enough plants to suck Nitrates faster than it is produced. But regardless of WC, I really want the cosmetic and the performance of this filter to be prestine.

Links are always the best way to refer something.

Thank you socmuch for your time in advance.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428204686.616313.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428204709.810573.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428204780.926861.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

With discus 40% weekly wont cut it no matter how much filtration or plants you have. There is much more involved like mineral replacement and removing growth inhibiting hormones. I would do 50% twice a week minimum.

Thank you Mike. Any recommendations for the Fluval?

Hey Rafael.. check out this thread. Zim is an AA member as well and he had some good pointers for inline equipment if you want to keep the stock intake and outflow of that 406. Well, that's if you want to add a co2 reactor or atomic diffuser. I'm actually considering this with an ista max inline co2 reactor.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=378809#/forumsite/20495/topics/378809?page=2

Also, if you can find Fluval 305/405 replacement intake and outflow equipment, it's dark (almost black) and would look much better with that black background. But if you go Lily pipes, that's another story. IMO, unless you go SS, glass is such a pain to keep clean.

SS is not a bad idea. I had no clue the glassware was hard to keep sharp.

Thank you for your help.

Back
Top Bottom