Fluval chi dry start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jetajockey

come get me tang police!
So the Fluval Chi has been sitting neglected for a while so I decided to attempt a dry start with it.

It was housing a single female betta and was in dire need of a cleaning.

I emptied it out and then added a piece of slate to make a hill without using a ton of substrate.

img_2199411_0_e771720b97b83a7133dae1edb12ae955.jpg

img_2199411_1_f85602ec31f2c80cbdd16d992a653f65.jpg

Then I added the substrate, I had some old floramax and 3m colorquartz S grade (black) so I mixed it together and put it in.

img_2199411_2_01928d4f6fa929eea78ee04c5b2edf3a.jpg

Then I started adding the plants. I have found what I think are two different species of baby tears in the wild, one is a bit larger than the other. I planted the larger ones on the sides of the tank near the back and left the hill in the front clear. Then I filled in the rest of the tank with the smaller species, including the hill part.
img_2199411_3_0e1e48c60452eeee5744d7a9208d5458.jpg

img_2199411_4_e81818f2906dd0e84dee04261e378a73.jpg

And finally sucked most of the water out, then used some clear plastic and rubber bands to seal off the tank to keep the humidity up.
img_2199411_5_f26c1c66dcd9b02039b508f55ea85bc5.jpg

Hope this works out, but we'll see in a few weeks. It's sitting right under a dual t8 shop light. I didn't fertilize the substrate at all, yet.

Stay tuned.

Looks like your off to a sweet start, any idea what your stocking? Native??
I hope so. I'm definately following along.

It's easy enough to do with a small container, I suggest using a some mesh to grow it on because once its rooted in soil it is near impossible to transfer it without screwing it all up.

Okay I'm back at my laptop. I had it under a dual t8 shop light for a while. I ended up getting a clip on type desk lamp for it and have a daylight CFL in it for now. I eventually want to get a par20 CFL because I think it'll put out a ton more light, I just haven't found a local source so I have to order one in.

Anyway here's a pic. I have a few more handfuls of baby tears/micranthemum umbrosum floating in a tank in the garage so I may fill in the bare spots with more plants to help get things moving along a little faster.

And yes, plastic mesh canvas from the craft store works great. Only thing is getting it adhered to it, it could be tied down or superglue gel'd on.

You could grow this stuff on sand or dirt it just grows in runners along/near the substrate so when you go to pull it up it gets all discombobulated and when put into a tank with water it'll be vertical. I don't know if it's slightly bouyant or what, but it can be a pain to get situated as a ground cover plant (which is why I did this dry start to begin with).

img_2219171_0_7967b7ce84e29c5900c2f103de25839c.jpg

There it is, as you can see, nothing fancy, just a cute little nickel plated desk clamp lamp from walmart, I think it was about $6 or so. It is putting out sufficient light for growth, but it's also making the plants stand on end which tells me that I need more intensity (hence the desire for a par20 floodlight bulb).

Good stuff jeta.
The par20 cfl flood light you spoke of. Is it of the proper intensity and spectrum to be used on an established planted tank? If so, how hot do they get?

Good stuff jeta.
The par20 cfl flood light you spoke of. Is it of the proper intensity and spectrum to be used on an established planted tank? If so, how hot do they get?

It's interesting because it's basically a regular CFL, it's in a par housing. The par housing is a parabolic reflector that directs the light just like a reflector on a light fixture does, except better in many cases.

They come in a range of wattages and color temps, the ones in my local stores seem to all be 2700k-ish. I want the daylight ones of course, so I'm holding out till I make a big bulb order to get a couple.

I'm going to try the par-38 ones on a bigger tank eventually as well, to see how effective it'll be. Some people already use par38 LEDs, which are sweet, but also expensive. The par38 CFLs are under $10 each.

Update, okay it's been about 2 weeks and this is what the tank looks like now
img_2233439_0_2271f1d74ab7c93db145d530cb56aece.jpg

I cleared out the first inch or so along the front of the tank and put some java moss along it to see if it will make that nice spiky emersed look.

Then I covered everything with sand, because I want it to be anchored in well. I think the plants will find their way out of the sand but we'll see I guess.

img_2233439_1_afe2389bba936fd3fdd66858b92e6212.jpg

Seems to be coming along nicely. I was always skeptical about using daylight cfl's for plant growth, that is until I finally started using them.

Back
Top Bottom