Fluval chi low to mid light plants done right.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tommy10

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Officially converting the 5g fluval chi over to planted tank and I want to do it right but not expensive.
so far I know I'm getting some fluval stratum. (Unless any better ideas?)

I would prefer to keep the standard led light and filter system on it running. But would be open to adding and extra lamp or something above it to help but nothing over the 25-30$ range because I'm on a budget right now.

Also would prefer that all items can be found on amazon because I have large order in the making from amazon using my dad's prime account.

Lastly stock wise I was thinking cherry shrimp colony with mayyyybe some nano fish . Open to all suggestions on this.

As I said before I want this tank done right as it likely be the only planted nano tank I will ever have but don't want to break the bank. Open to all answers and suggestions you guys are willing to give.

I really appreciate the help :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Anyone?

Will an additional light/lamp be necessary?

I have some anubias nana growing in my 5g chi with the stock light in that tank. I have moss ball carpet that's very lush and green. That being said the water sprite I had in there failed me, so I plan to add some java fern on some driftwood instead!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410753157.328233.jpg that was taken when I first set it up and now were about 5 months later with new growth!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nice tank! How did u do the carpet? Whats the stock? What substrate did u use?

The substrate is fine black sand topped with medium size polished river rocks (the kind you get from dollar stores for case filler). Honestly I hate the sand and wish I used black beauty gravel like in my two larger tanks! The carpet is marimo moss balls from petsmart. I think it took 3-4 depending on size to cover and I just sort of peeled them back and stretched them like pizza dough to lay out. The rocks on top are sort of weighing it down but they look nice like boulders on a grass field ;). I ha a betta and two african dwarf frogs but the betta died and now it's just them so I need to restock. Maybe nano fish this time!

Well I really like the look of the moss ball carpet so I may try that! I also bought a piece of nice real drift wood For tying some plants too. I think for stocking I will get some RCS and maybe some nano fish if I buy a heater. Do you have a heater?

Yes a small one rated for 10 gallons. Be advised with this tank you also need daily top offs because the water evaporates really fast. So a fully submersible heater would be best because you can put it way in the bottom in case you miss a couple top offs like I do ;) I found out the hard way that heaters singe plants and livestock if they are not under all the way! ?

Y I've had it set up with ghost shrimp for awhile just not ideal, I hate the evaporation too! I'll see what I can find for heaters.

Back
Top Bottom