Fluval Edge 6 Gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hydor pico evo mag is creating some nice flow in my tank now. The impeller came but it was the wrong one ... By a long shot too. I'm happy with the flow right now but will order the correct impeller to give the HOB some extra flow. The DHG has taken a turn for the worse!! I've been jinxed ;) ... A couple of things may be the issue 1. Low nitrates 2. Hair algae

I've read that low nitrates may be the cause of my trouble, I might clean the tank too frequently...good for fish bad for plants

The grass was covered in algae and my shrimp and snails weren't able to control it quickly enough. I brushed the algae with an old clean toothbrush to get it off the grass but it wasn't enough. I've lost most of it actually, it's turned transparent or light brown. My algae problem is no longer, fingers crossed that the DHG recovers. The taller grass is doing ok but the four leaf clovers may be a lost cause. I might post a photo later so you can see what I'm dealing with.

Just a thought, I have a sandy cove for my cory and have been trying various kitchen items as strainers to remove the "rocks".

I tried a tea strainer, but it was too fine, I have one spoon which would work, but it is for human food. Must keep looking. …

Good luck!

Attachments

• image-1172448121.jpg
    image-1172448121.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 75
I've been using my net but it doesn't scoop accurately ... I might see what kind of kitchen gadgets will work for this. I think you're on to something

Sand Scoops

These are all from my kitchen. I have had the two wooden handled ones for decades and they will remain in the kitchen. The smallest one is the one that came to mind for this purpose, but I will go with the all metal one since it can be sanitized if I want to put it back in the kitchen.

My 36 is so deep that I really can't test it without doing a PWC, and I can only go down to the depth of the breeder box/net thingy, so I will have to get back to you on how it works.

It's an idea... but I am wondering if it would be better to take a thin plastic or bamboo spoon and drill holes in it, no scratching or clanking against glass tanks?

:angel:

Attachments

• IMG_1080.jpg
    IMG_1080.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1081.jpg
    IMG_1081.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 62
There is an updated video from about a month ago on YouTube. The tank is still pretty good, grass is growing back and some is dying, seems normal at this point. It's still not quite as dense as it was initially but the fish are happy and I've added a few new shrimp and a couple of small snails to eat new algae.

Back
Top Bottom