Fluval edge planning!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austin.b

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi! I'm extatic to say, next week I'm going to get a fluval edge 6 gallon!

I want it to be a moderately planted, but I need help with that. How would I increase the lighting? Of course it would only be low light plants, like crypts, Anubias, and moss. Any other suggestions? I'm not good at DIY projects, so making a light would not be the best idea lol is the stock light ok for plants? It's the LED model with I believe 21 led's. For the substrate, I will be going with fluorite black sand or Eco-complete.

For the stock, it will be a shrimp only tank. I was thinking about snowball shrimp. Possibly some chili rasboras, but I'm not so sure. Thanks in advance!!

Austin.b said:
Hi! I'm extatic to say, next week I'm going to get a fluval edge 6 gallon!

I want it to be a moderately planted, but I need help with that. How would I increase the lighting? Of course it would only be low light plants, like crypts, Anubias, and moss. Any other suggestions? I'm not good at DIY projects, so making a light would not be the best idea lol is the stock light ok for plants? It's the LED model with I believe 21 led's. For the substrate, I will be going with fluorite black sand or Eco-complete.

For the stock, it will be a shrimp only tank. I was thinking about snowball shrimp. Possibly some chili rasboras, but I'm not so sure. Thanks in advance!!

That's awesome! I have an Edge that I've been tinkering with for a few months, they can look really cool. Mine was an older one apparently (I got it on craigslist) that had halogens, but I replaced them with LEDs that I got on Amazon. Do you know what the specs on your LEDs are? They could be good enough for low light plants. I have a little amazon sword immune that I like the look of. There are some other good threads on fluval edge setup in the planted forum if you do a quick search. I used those as a resource. Good luck and post pics!

WBAC88 said:
That's awesome! I have an Edge that I've been tinkering with for a few months, they can look really cool. Mine was an older one apparently (I got it on craigslist) that had halogens, but I replaced them with LEDs that I got on Amazon. Do you know what the specs on your LEDs are? They could be good enough for low light plants. I have a little amazon sword immune that I like the look of. There are some other good threads on fluval edge setup in the planted forum if you do a quick search. I used those as a resource. Good luck and post pics!

I've been looking everywhere but I can't find the watts of the LED's it just states that they're 21 high output lights. It also has some moon lights, I believe about 3. I really hope theyre ok for Low light plants :/ I'll check the other threads about them now, thanks!

Hello! I've currently got the older model of the edge (with the halogens). And I must say they are pretty decent at growing plants. My amazon swords are going crazy and my anubias are as well. The only problem I've come across is the fact that the bulbs get really hot. Sounds kinda dumb but really, the water evaporates too dang fast and it also heats up the water a lot! Considering the bulbs are so close to the opening on the tank.... Top offs happen way too often. However I'm interested to see how the new LEDs work! I wouldn't worry too much about LEDs and plant growth considering the depth isn't that great on the edge so light should reach down there no problem.

TotallyCoral said:
Hello! I've currently got the older model of the edge (with the halogens). And I must say they are pretty decent at growing plants. My amazon swords are going crazy and my anubias are as well. The only problem I've come across is the fact that the bulbs get really hot. Sounds kinda dumb but really, the water evaporates too dang fast and it also heats up the water a lot! Considering the bulbs are so close to the opening on the tank.... Top offs happen way too often. However I'm interested to see how the new LEDs work! I wouldn't worry too much about LEDs and plant growth considering the depth isn't that great on the edge so light should reach down there no problem.

Yeah, I've heard a lot of people say the same thing! But hey, at least you don't need a heater;) lol that's true, maybe the LED's will put me in the medium light section? I would love that lol but I'll keep you guys updated on how the LED's work. I'm thinking about starting a fluval edge thread about stocking, and planting it, not too sure yet

WBAC88 said:
I don't know if this is the kit that you got:

Aquarium Kit with LED Lighting: Fluval LED Edge Aquarium Kit

But it says 7600k with no mention of wattage and this site:

Fluval EDGE getting a new LED replacement for the halogen spotlight

Suggests that they're 10000k with 1.8 watts. Not sure if that helps, but probably gives you a ballpark. I'm re-scaping my Edge this weekend, so I've been thinking a lot about this kind of thing, too. Let me know if you find any more information.

Yeah, I'm going to get that kit. 1.8W's per LED bulb? Ok, so I think I'm just going to go with Anubias, java fern, hornwort, and penny wort. Do you see any problems with those plants? Do you think you can post a pic of your fluval?:)

Yeah, I'm going to get that kit. 1.8W's per LED bulb? Ok, so I think I'm just going to go with Anubias, java fern, hornwort, and penny wort. Do you see any problems with those plants? Do you think you can post a pic of your fluval?:)

I think that sounds like a good start. I know that the first two would work, not too sure about the others, someone else could tell you better. To be honest, I'm still at the stage where I'm getting plants and seeing what happens to them when I plant them in my tanks. I obviously do research first to see which ones might thrive, but it's hard to know what they're going to look like until they're in and planted.

Also, these are the LEDs that I bought to replace those hot halogens that came with my older Edge:

Amazon.com: Brightest MR11 12 Volt AC DC 10 5050 SMD LED Bulb Wide Angle 160 Lumen 2.1 Watt, white, 1113WH: Home Improvement

As for a pic, this is my thread about re-planting my Edge. The first post has the pic and then I'll keep it updated, as the tank is actually empty as I type, waiting to replace the substrate and re-plant everything and add some cherry shrimp in there.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/fluval-edge-aquascaping-help-199078.html

Can't wait to see how both of ours turn out! :)

Back
Top Bottom