Fluval Flora Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No. I can probably say it's not. If you you're going to use this long term with inverts go with pure HCL. Formaldehyde and quinine (made to kill inverts) is probably really bad.

A gallon of 10M (keep away from nice things and kids) HCL is like 8 bucks at home depot. HCL is 100% safe for inverts at these levels.

Crepe said:
No. I can probably say it's not. If you you're going to use this long term with inverts go with pure HCL. Formaldehyde and quinine (made to kill inverts) is probably really bad.

A gallon of 10M (keep away from nice things and kids) HCL is like 8 bucks at home depot. HCL is 100% safe for inverts at these levels.

I have never heard of HCL before, is HCL and acronym?

Hydrochloric acid. You can find it at pool supply shops or your local hardware store. It's used for pH adjustment in pools and cleaning pavement, etching glass in construction. 10M refers to the concentration. Use with caution though as you would any caustic/corrosive substance. It's just about the same strength as car battery acid.

An example of this stuff's corrosiveness: I used to play pranks on friends by making hollow pennies with HCL. HCL can dissolve the zinc cores of pennies but not the copper coat.

Last edited:
Crepe said:
Hydrochloric acid. You can find it at pool supply shops or your local hardware store. It's used for pH adjustment in pools and cleaning pavement, etching glass in construction. 10M refers to the concentration. Use with caution though as you would any caustic/corrosive substance. It's just about the same strength as car battery acid.

O man! Will they even sell this stuff to a 16 year old? That is really scary stuff! Is there another option? (Like a little bit of bleach?)

Lol..funny enough they'll let you buy this stuff without ID but they won't let you buy spray paint. You can't huff chlorine gas lol. The other option is to make smaller batches and refrigerate.

Bleach is probably not a good idea...

Here are some options:

Find a "natural anti fungal/parasite" They normally contain tea tree oil (smells nice) I think it's sold as pimafix...

Use potassium chloride and vinegar and reduce the amount of K in your macro solution KCL and vinegar: vinegar will drop the pH to unfriendly levels to microbes and KCL will provide the killing power of chloride ions... (The problem is I have no idea how much to add...this is just a thought)

Other option is to boil the water you use to make your ferts and your fert container thoroughly tosterilize and never open your fert container unless you have to, to avoid contamination.

Last edited:
I guess I will try to get a hold of some HCL. (And no I am not going to huff it) lol

I have a question. The filter keeps getting little air bubbles in it. Every once in a while I can hear the sound of a bubble getting chopped up in the impeller. Is this a bad thing? I have heard of filters off gassing but I don't really know what that means or why they do it.

I just did a 2 day black out (to help with a little algae) and when I turned the lights back on I noticed the creepies thing ever! There were these little white slug looking things on the glass of the tank. They look identical to slugs be the biggest one is only like 2 millimeters long. These little slugs things move quite quickly considering there size. Please help! Will these things heart my shrimp? I will post a picture but I don't think it will do much good (phone camera)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110809_221538.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110809_221538.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 87
fishfanatic said:
I just did a 2 day black out (to help with a little algae) and when I turned the lights back on I noticed the creepies thing ever! There were these little white slug looking things on the glass of the tank. They look identical to slugs be the biggest one is only like 2 millimeters long. These little slugs things move quite quickly considering there size. Please help! Will these things heart my shrimp? I will post a picture but I don't think it will do much good (phone camera)

Its planaria. It's harmless to adult shrimp but to baby Shrimps planaria can be abit of a bother. I believe u have tiger shrimps? They will be fine. But planaria means overfeeding.

Here's a link
http://www.planetinverts.com/what_is_that_bug_in_my_aquarium.html

Hubert90 said:
Its planaria. It's harmless to adult shrimp but to baby Shrimps planaria can be abit of a bother. I believe u have tiger shrimps? They will be fine. But planaria means overfeeding.

Here's a link

That link is wonderful! Thank you! I am going to feed less, and do lots of pwc for a while. I need to keep in mind that shrimp don't eat very much, in the past I have been feeding them every other day about 5-7 shrimp pellets. Is that too much?

fishfanatic said:
I want it to be simple yet elegant. I really like forts style but I dont think I am capable of doing that. I was thinking something like this... would this size tank look good done like that?

I love what you done to the second picture. Your amazing at aquascaping. good job. Should get some recommendations from you on tank plants. :) enjoy.

caseynewton said:
I love what you done to the second picture. Your amazing at aquascaping. good job. Should get some recommendations from you on tank plants. :) enjoy.

I really wish I could take credit for those tanks but I can't. I got the pictures off of the internet. But thanks anyways ;)

fishfanatic said:
That link is wonderful! Thank you! I am going to feed less, and do lots of pwc for a while. I need to keep in mind that shrimp don't eat very much, in the past I have been feeding them every other day about 5-7 shrimp pellets. Is that too much?

I'm not too sure actually. But I'm not very good with shrimps! But I guess the main thing is to remove whatever not eaten within 1-2 hours? Haha

Hubert90 said:

Here's a link

You can get No Planaria or use a dog dewormer. I've dosed my tank with dewormer and my RCS/CRS shrimpies were all fine. And yes if they get out of hand it is a sign. :)

Back
Top Bottom